Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 LE suspension too stiff

Hi,

This is my first time here.

I bought my son a 2005 TTR 125 E, and I started riding it, and like it a lot. So, I bought myself a 2005 TTR 125 LE. The suspension is much stiffer than my son's bike. I do not ride hard, and there are a lot of washboard roads and rocky trailes where we live. I took the bike to a Yamaha dealer. He adjusted the forks all the way to as soft as they would go, and that helped, but I find the read is way to stiff for me. It's like wham wham wham over every bump in the road compared to my son's E. The shop is trying to find a softer spring but not having any luck yet. I see most everyone here is trying to make the suspension stiffer!

Any suggestions?

I'm 5'5" and weight 130#. The shop said the bike was geared toward what they consider the average rider, of 160#. Seems like a rather small bike for someone that size.

Dawn

cannon racecraft make custom springs if you cant source them.

cannon racecraft make custom springs if you cant source them.

Thanks. I'll let the guy at the shop know. He's been looking since yesterday, and hasn't found anything. :thumbsup:

I talked to our shop and they said they have ordered springs from this company before, and they are VERY expensive.

Anyone else have any ideas? I can't believe there is NO shock or spring out there that will fit this bike that is not so stiff.

if you can get spring dimensions we could look up a alternative, but its a lot of work as you will have to dissasemble the suspension , we need length, inner and outer diameter and present stiffness.Or any proper suspension tuner could remove the springs, measure them and see if a alternative exists.

if you can get spring dimensions we could look up a alternative, but its a lot of work as you will have to dissasemble the suspension , we need length, inner and outer diameter and present stiffness.Or any proper suspension tuner could remove the springs, measure them and see if a alternative exists.

Hi,

Not sure where you are located, so this may be meaningless, but the shop I'm using is Motorworld in El Cajon CA. They sell several of the major brands of motorcycles, and service them all. I talked to the shop manager today. He says that they have checked everywhere, and the only idea he's come up with is a 'Works' shock, which he says would be highly adjustable, and cost between $350-$600. He said the shock on the LE is not same size or dimensions as the E, thus I can't just put an E shock on it. My son's 'E', is very comfortable for me to ride. The LE is stiffer. The bike is totally stock, so has a stock shock. Is it possible to get the dimensions you asked for from someplace, like perhaps Yamaha corp? Rather than tear the bike apart? I thought about just getting me an E, and selling the LE, but the E is a little short for me.

I don't know anywhere that would have the dimensions sorry

race tech has some information on your bike , I would give them a call as they do a lot of bikes and springs and may be able to help , yours is a 30 mm kyb fork but that's all It says

those springs may get softer with time, I dont know how many hours your bike has on it but mine softened up after I left it strapped down in my trailer without a fork brace one day... you might change your fork oil to a very light oil, it might help.. good luck

those springs may get softer with time, I dont know how many hours your bike has on it but mine softened up after I left it strapped down in my trailer without a fork brace one day... you might change your fork oil to a very light oil, it might help.. good luck

It's not the forks. They were able to adjust them. Have them all the way to soft. They shop said he can see that the problem is the rear is too stiff for my weight.

I wonder if I strap the back down for a while if it would help? Would it hurt to try? I'll contact Race Tech and see what they have to say. Thanks for helping.

it won't help to strap it down

naa mogs right it probably wont do anything on the rear, about all you can do with a stocker is unwind the preload...

That bike was soft as a sponge with my 95 lb son on it. Bottomed out over the smallest of bumps.

I wonder if it's really too soft, and you're getting into the middle of the valving too soon.

An oil change to fresh 5 weight would help diagnose and possibly cure the problem. It's a really easy bike to change the oil on.

You should not need a softer than stock spring. These bikes are made for small people. You bought an "E" version bike which may have a different rear shock than your sons bike. The spring adjustment is how much the bike settles when you get on it. When you get on the bike, it should sink a 4 to 5 inches. If it holds tight, it is the wrong spring for you or adjusted too tight.

First, what color is the spring? It should be silver. If it is red or blue, it has been changed to a heavier spring. Second, the stock "E" shock has a hose from the top that runs over the engine to a resevior clamped to the front frame tube. There is a small adjustment screw at the top of the res that adjusts how fast the shock moves. Near the bottom of the shock's shaft, there is knurled nut that also adjusts how fast the shock moves. They are your compression and rebound dampening adjusters. The screw in the front has about eight settings. You can feel the "clicks" as you turn the screw. The nut on the shock shaft has about 30 settings. Try turning them one way or another to see if they are set all the way in one direction. If they are, move them in the other direction and see if the ride softens up.

If this helps your problem, find another shop.

Did the shop back off the preload on the rear also?

Edited by dansvs

For some reason there are a couple more responses in my email that are showing on this board.

Anyway, I picked up my bike from the shop yesterday. They have the forks as soft as they will go, and every adjustment possible, inc. preload, and two other things on the rear as soft as it will go. Took it for a ride and it beat me up and handled poorly. I've decided that even though the LE is more my size, I'd be better off to get another E, with the much softer suspension. My son's bike is MUCH softer ride, and I took a look and noticed his is adjusted midway. It could actually get softer.

Thanks for all your help.

is it possible that its set so soft that when you hit a bump your bottoming out? maybe it too soft, as others have said those bikes are soft already, maybe by unloading the shock so much its making it to soft, and thereby bottoming easier, and once it bottoms it FEELS HARD because you have no more spring to absorb the bump?

just a thought

Too soft will cause the problems for sure. What about you tire air pressure?

For you it should be 13 to 15 PSI. 40 PSI like steet bikes will beat you up.

Just a thought.

My son’s bike is the ‘E’. When I sit on it, it does sink down quite a bit, but it has never bottomed out on the trail. I don’t ride hard, I just want a soft float down the trail. I would say his suspension is rather spongy. I guess I like it that way.

My bike is the LE, and it def does not sink down 4-5” when I sit on it. Maybe 1-2”. Both springs on both bikes are silver. The man I bought the LE from is the original buyer and he swears the shock has never been touched, and he really has no reason to lie. The shop has everything adjusted all the way out, inc. preload.

They went over everything with me and showed me how all the adjustments work. They showed me how to adjust the forks too, and they set them all the way soft, and that made a huge difference in the front. But now it’s soft in the front, and firm in the back, and maybe that’s why it’s not handling so great now.

I realize that my version of ‘stiff or firm’ suspension would probably be like a sponge to you guys.

I had my son, who is 11 ride my bike while I followed and watched, cause kids usually don’t care that much about how stiff or not the suspension is, and he said he could tell the difference and didn’t like it either.

He wanted his bike back.

I noticed that the shock snaps back to position on the LE much quicker than the LE.

Dawn <><

tobad you don't live in Seattle, I would love to swap my E shocks/springs for your stiffer stuff!