2007 crf450r

Just bought a CRF 450R. The bike had only been ridden 3 times prior to my acquisition. Rode for first time this weekend.. Love it! Still has the factory chain and sprocket set-up. Ride mostly trails and occasional track. Thinking of a sprocket change since I am going to a upgrade in chain(O-Ring). Has anyone tried a 13-51 setup. What are the performance characteristics. How many links do I go with if I choose this route. Will I loose too much top end. Ineed advice.

your gonna be shifting alot, it's gonna have a bit less traction as your going to be a bit higher rpm in each gear (unless your continually running a gear high), your gonna loose a fair amount of top speed, 1st gear will be like a tracktor, etc. 13/48 is stock for a reason. lots of testing, they send the bike out with that gearing. The crf used to come with 13/50, not been the case for a number of years. Why? Toning down the power a bit and making it more useable. You can get steel rear sprockets for $20. Get a new stock and the 51, try it. It's not that much money.. Be sure to not cut the chain too short, or just pick up a 2nd master link. With the 51 on, it will hit the lower chain guide when you try to move it forward from the 48.. Can also try a 12t front, would be a near identical ratio to the 13/51. Gearing is often rider specific, what you like i might not like. Faster riders can also carry shorter gearing (smaller rear spk) compared to slower riders all other things equal.

If you get an 0-ring chain (and you should) make sure that if it's hitting the case at the countershaft area you flip the c.s. sprocket around to give some space.

13/51 is pretty low gearing, especially if you will be doing any track riding. I would suggest 13/50 if you do both track and trail. The stock 114 links will handle 13/50 gearing. You can get a 120 chain and cut it down pretty easily.

The best sprockets are MSR/Ironman. Use a narrow x-ring chain like the DID 520VT2 or RK GB520MXU and you won't jack up the chain line or rub the case. This chain and sprocket combo will last you many years with very few adjustments.

like dude said flip counter shaft sprocket or fastway makes a spacer.i have same bike and ride mostly trails .13/51 rules .never overheats in the tite stuff & i can put it in third and go.love it.this bike is bad.i also run o-ring.regina is my favorite,hardly ever adjust it and they last in my opinion.orn6 o-ring 114 links is the one 4 me

I still run 14/48, certainly not the fastest/best rider, but ride michigan single track and seems to work good.

Same here in AZ. 13/48 is too short when the terrain opens up. I like 14/48 with a 13oz FWW. 1st is a little tall in some situations but not many:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I know I'm little late to the game on this post but I want to double check that I don't need the spacer behind the front sprocket with the D.I.D. VT2 chain. I have a CRF450R 2006. I have the Ironman rear sprocket and am ordering the Ironman front sprocket and will replace the chain at the same time.

I also have seen a lot of posts stating to flip the front sprocket inside out and you don't need the spacer with a standard O-Ring or X-Ring chain. Is one better than the other? Will the chain protector that mounts on the swing arm still line up?

I think CamP is suggesting the Ironman / D.I.D. VT2 combo. Does anyone else have experience with this this combo?

I also have the 13 / 50 setup and love it. I ride motocross with my nephew (15 years old) and trails with my kids (8 and 10 years old). This combo seems to work really well.

Hey guys. I know I'm little late to the game on this post but I want to double check that I don't need the spacer behind the front sprocket with the D.I.D. VT2 chain.

The VT2 is narrow and fits without offsetting the chain line with shims, or flipping the countershaft sprocket. DID actually designed it specifically for the CRF's and Honda specs an unplated version on the CRF450X and 250X.

welcome to TT.

after messing around with chain and sprocket combinations, i've found a good combination for me. i ride the deserts and trails in arizona with an occasional track day. i like the primary drive steel sprockets with the DID VT2 narrow x-ring chain. the sprockets and chain wear very well. the primary drive sprockets are not very sexy, and they're heavy...but they're inexpensive and last forever.