Sign in to follow this  

Clutchless Shifting

:confused: I am preparing for a 100 mile offroad event. I have raced offroad for sometime, but always on 2 stroke bikes. On a 2 stroke i almost never use the clutch to up or downshift. Will i damage my DRZs tranny by shifting in this manner? It appears to be forming up as a mud run. I think my baby is going to get mud blasted. Thanks in advance. Mitch. :thumbsup:

hey mitch!

your going to find a ton of members that go clutchless while upshifting but would not say the same for downshifting. there has been tons of threads started on this very same subject. id call it a draw. i sometimes up shift without clutch at WOT but most of the time i use my two fingers.

cheers logan

I feel the need to bang a clutchless shift, is when im climbing a gnarly uphill section and find myself one gear to high. 2nd to 1st so you can top the hill. The downshift is a slamshift. Mitch :thumbsup:

Completely depends on the speed for me. Hard acceleration, clutchless up shifting every time. Slow tight sections you'll want more control, so clutch used.

Going down the box, probably he same as everyone else, clutch every time. Easier on the box, and stops the wheel locking and jerking.

What the 2 above said/displayed ...

"A picture tells a 1000 words".....perfect graphic pics of the result of clutchless shifting...:thumbsup:

This damage causes your bike to jump out of gear....

Short term , some will get away without using the clutch ,but the end result is blatantly obvious....

BTW...Good luck with the race Mitch.....:confused:

Why would they put a clutch on the bike if you weren't supposed to use it? Maybe that's what makes our beloved deezer so heavy :thumbsup: . But seriously, I have used the clutch for every shift the bike has ever had, maybe I'm overly cautious, ahh well.

If done properly, clutchless up shifting doesn't hurt a thing. Eddie has even said so.

That being said, I use the clutch about 75% of the time.

Downshifting is a different story.

Sport bikes are now coming with quick shift kits. It simply cuts the ignition just long enough to unload the tranny to allow for a perfectly smooth upshift.

Almost any race car out there uses the clutch for starting from a stop and down shifting only.

Steve

i have a prostetic left arm, i shift with out using the clutch every time i ride (my clutch lever is on the right side), the only time i use my clutch is to stop, take off, pull the front end up, but iv also learned to bump the throttle an shift, slides in every time, she wont like it when you slam her gears,

i have a prostetic left arm, i shift with out using the clutch every time i ride (my clutch lever is on the right side), the only time i use my clutch is to stop, take off, pull the front end up, but iv also learned to bump the throttle an shift, slides in every time, she wont like it when you slam her gears,

Please don't take offense but I had no idea you could ride a motorcycle with a prosthetic arm. How does that work? Just curious.

Please don't take offense but I had no idea you could ride a motorcycle with a prosthetic arm. How does that work? Just curious.

Maybe something like this:

Maybe something like this:

All I can say is wow! I couldn't ride that well on my best day.:thumbsup: It's awesome to see that instead of giving up your dreams because of an impairment you can prove to yourself and the world that you are not impaired but inspired to continue that dream.

When clutchless shifting, as long as you time the shift perfectly with the unloading of the tranny(reduce/increase throttle momentarily), you will have seamless shifts with no damage to the box....its when forced into gear while loaded that the damage occurs....this method also will reduce wear on the clutch...

...I have clutchless shifted every bike i have owned and never had a problem.....or had to replace a clutch... :thumbsup:

When clutchless shifting, as long as you time the shift perfectly with the unloading of the tranny(reduce/increase throttle momentarily), you will have seamless shifts with no damage to the box.)

Go back and look at the pictures the nice man posted up. :thumbsup:

What about the slightly mistimed changes, inbetween all those perfect ones? Ooops, there's some damage.

For the sake of pulling the clutch lever in and out, why would you do this to your own bike? Do your arms get too tired? Do you save a micro second of time?

Never right.

Go back and look at the pictures the nice man posted up. :thumbsup:

What about the slightly mistimed changes, inbetween all those perfect ones? Ooops, there's some damage.

For the sake of pulling the clutch lever in and out, why would you do this to your own bike? Do your arms get too tired? Do you save a micro second of time?

Never right.

Because it's a perfectly acceptable practice. That's why. And no, a slightly mistimed shift isn't going to grenade your tranny. It's when people abuse it and force it into gear. If you use light pressure on the shifter, you aren't going to hurt anything. It's either going to go into gear once the tranny unloads, or it won't because you didn't time it correctly.

In a racing environment there will be times when you need to shift without the clutch, remember we started this thread talking about a race not poodling around town at 5mph...

Go back and look at the pictures the nice man posted up. :confused:

how about all those slightly mistimed clutched shifts?...same effect...same damage... OOPS!

.....sounds like you need to work on your shifting if you are having issues with clutchless shifting. :thumbsup: