Sign in to follow this  

cargo van

sorry i know this is a little off topic but i've found a 1991 ford e-350 extended body cargo van that i plan to haul my bike in, 5.8L i believe that runs on lpg (propane), anyone know much about this rig? mpg's, things to look out for, ect? thanks for the help

I had a regular gas one, i got about 11mpg unloaded and 11mpg full loaded. Propane is cheaper but even worse mileage. Also you have to plan ahead where you can get filled up at and when they are open. You cannot just roll into anywhere at 2 am and get filled up. I personally would stay away from it unless its real cheap like a couple hundred bucks.

You should get a newer 4.2L V6 E150 or the equivalent Chevy. I get 25mpg with me, one bike, and my gear. I can fit 3 bikes and riders.

11mpg's huh, wow that sucks, well i'd like to get a newer one but i'm running on a very tight budget :/

Also you have to plan ahead where you can get filled up at and when they are open. You cannot just roll into anywhere at 2 am and get filled up. I personally would stay away from it unless its real cheap like a couple hundred bucks.

I dont know about where you live but because we live in the Peoples Republic of California all the hippies have gotten CNG and other alternative fuels to be readily available in most cities. My dad bought a CNG Crown Vic to commute and he can get CNG no problem. You might want to look into it

Also for what he paid for the car and the cost of CNG in comparison to Regular fuel it actually works out in his favor still that he gets the same if not 1-2 mpg less than his other car

I would want the tie rod ends, front end parts ect. checked on an old van. They almost always need them.

thanks for the pointers, anyone else know anything about mpg's particularly on this rig?

Sorry if I hijack your thread, but I'm curious if you can fit 3 bikes in the back and have a bench seat back there as well without going to a bigger 15 passenger van.

Sorry if I hijack your thread, but I'm curious if you can fit 3 bikes in the back and have a bench seat back there as well without going to a bigger 15 passenger van.

Not in the normal size Ford and Chevy vans. Need the extended version for that.