Sign in to follow this  

Polaris Starter removal on '04 polaris sportsman 500

Maybe this has been covered before but, do i need to pull the primary clutch to remove starter? Or, can i remove airbox, back bottom starter bolt out till the threads disengage and rotate the starter out? The bottom starter bolt does not come out. It hits the clutch cover backing plate. Any ideas? Or should i just break down and by a puller? Thanks. Just answer please. Starter is bad. Just want removal info......

take out bolts and u can get it out without removing the clutch covers u have to tap the starter to get a little room to rotate it and the further u get it to pull out the more it will rotate when installing make sure to put the bottom bolt in the starter or u won't get it in otherwise and the puller is just fine thread 3/4 u can make one by welding a nut to about a foot long section it cost me about 10 bucks at local hardware store good luck

Thanks for the info. We got it out without the puller. I think the beer helped too. Lol. Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 717 Enduro
      So we have an 05 sportsman 700 efi, bike has like 500 hours but lower miles. Previous owner used it mostly for plowing snow. In high gear, it really feels like it’s missing power. Our 05 carbuerated 700 will wheelies when you hit the throttle from a stop. This one lags and is slow. My first thought is the clutch slipping, but after reading some posts it’s more as though the rpm lags and takes a while to build up to wide open.  The bike feels like it hooks and has its power while in low gear though. It also does not like to start right up and idle without giving it some gas.  Another note would be that the check engine light is on when you turn the key but goes away when you start it. Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    • By CEW1970
      Engine & Drivetrain
      Active Descent Control Not Equipped Cooling Liquid Cylinders Displacement 999cc Drive System Type High Performance True On-Demand AWD/2WD Engine Braking System (EBS) Not Equipped Engine Type 4-Stroke DOHC Twin Cylinder Fuel System/Battery Electronic Fuel Injection Horsepower 110 HP Transmission/Final Drive Automatic PVT P/R/N/L/H Dimensions
      Bed Box Dimensions (L x W x H) 30 x 22 x 7 in (72.0 x 57.0 x 17.8 cm) Estimated Dry Weight 1,379 lb (626 kg) Front/Rear Rack or Box Capacity N/A lb / 300 lb (N/A kg / 136 kg) Fuel Capacity 9.5 gal (35.9 L) Ground Clearance 13.5 in (34.3 cm) Overall Vehicle Size (L x W x H) 119 x 64 x 73.75 in (302.2 x 162.6 x 187.3 cm) Payload Capacity 740 lb (336 kg) Person Capacity 2 Wheelbase 90 in ( 228.6 cm) Brakes
      Front/Rear Brakes 4-Wheel Hydraulic Disc with Dual-Bore Front and Rear Calipers Parking Brake Park In-Transmission Specifications
      Cargo System Lock & Ride® Front Suspension Dual A-Arm 16 in (40.6 cm) Travel Headlight White LED (High/Low) Hitch Towing Rating N/A Hitch Type N/A Rear Suspension Trailing Arm with Stabilizer Bar and 18 in (45.7 cm) Travel Tail/Brake Light Red LED Tail/Brake Lights Tires / Wheels
      Electronic Power Steering Standard Front Tires 29 x 9-14; Maxxis Bighorn Rear Tires 29 x 11-14; Maxxis Bighorn Wheels Cast Aluminum
    • By Question_Man
      Hey guys im between a split decision about getting a quad or a dirtbike. So I was just wondering what your opinions are and dont give me 'it depends on who you are' crap. This is a opinion question just tell me what you really feel and why. And if you can tell me the funfactors of your choice and why you choose whatever it was you did.
      Thanks
    • By entrpner71
      If you seen my other thread you will know that I am looking for a suitable quad for my grandfather and mom. I want an older utility quad with good predictable power, low and cheep to repair, and has AWD. There are several models even as early as the mid 90's and I need to know what the differences are for each. I don't even know which ones are 4x4, 2T or 4T, e start or pull/kick, displacement, features and so on. Anybody that knows the difference or has a link to that info please post it. Thanks in advance.
    • By liggy
      Hi everyone, I am wondering what are the best mods for enhancing the overall performance of my 04 Predator 500. Thanks.