Rode the DRZ400E and WR250R - bugga! - which one?

Just back from test riding two second hand bikes.

2009 DRZ400E – 6000kms – ex police bike

2009 WR250R – 8500kms – ex bush basher by the looks of it

Hoot factor:

DRZ - A hoot as soon as you roll on the throttle – nice torque down low and right through.the rev range.

WRR – postie bike pull until you get high up in the rev range, then it would mumbo

Nearly fell off factor:

DRZ – suspension OK and bike felt heavy up top

WRR – better suspension and felt lighter

even though they weigh much the same

Approx cost factor new in Oz (May 2011)

DRZ - $8,000 ride away

WRR – $9,500 ride away

HELP………………Please try and convince me not to buy the DRZ400E (note: the dealers will fully de-restrict the DRZE – less junk more pump).

Those who have rode both – lay the truth on me.

I've owned both.

Being abit of a power junkie i really couldnt enjoy the WR250R. I like torquey motors so went back to the DRZ400.

Suspension on the WR is definiately better and feels like a weapon in the single track.

What type of riding do you intend on doing? Trails? Roads? If you're going to be riding mostly trails have you thought about putting the WRF in the mix of possibilities? Welcome to the site by the way, good luck in your decision. ?

I've owned both.

Being abit of a power junkie i really couldnt enjoy the WR250R. I like torquey motors so went back to the DRZ400.

Suspension on the WR is definiately better and feels like a weapon in the single track.

With the $1500 price difference, he could get a pretty good suspension package a MRD/SSW and still have a little bit of change left over:thumbsup:

I have a Drz and have ridden a WR. Drz all the way. A little suspension work and a pipe, you'll be good to go.

Drz is more solid and bullet proof than the WR.

This is the Drz forum, not that i am biased. :confused:

Mike ?:worthy:

Bought the E Dec2010. Im in S Oz Way better service intervals, more usable power band. Have ridden both a lot and the WR is more of a competition Enduro bike hence better handling but with a site like this you can get the E up to a similar level. Go the E as it is a sensational all rounder.

Great feedback.

End of the day there is just more torque down low - great for a slow lazy bastards like me.

Thanks for cementing my thoughts - even though it is a DRZ forum.

So I will be a ? before too long.

I was looking at buying July / August, but wondering if end of June is better for a deal? Does anyone know good times to buy, due to dealer financial figures going back to Suzuki head office?

Also is the awards that dealers get, (like dealer of the year) is that based on financial year or calendar year - just might chase up some prevoius award winners, incaase they are a few sales short.

Thaks again - great forum and great inmates.

Cheers

Steve

If it's a bush bike only there are better trail rides out there. But I went for an E because they are basically bullet proof. It can scare the pants off me with speed, even after gearing it down a little for the trails, plenty of torque, climbs like a tractor. Sure it is heavy, undersprung and seriously old technology, but I am not racing so can live with those compromises. Just don't try and keep up with a 16 year old on an RM125, dont ask what happens if you do! ?

As it was said once before, you may want to consider a used DRZ, with some extras like exhaust and anything else of interest, as they are the more for the $$ with a big savings.

note: comparing market here(Vancouver); e.g. New $6200, used with $1000 worth of extras with <5k on the OD = $4k-$5k.

Some extras that are nice to have:

1. better seat,

2. full exhaust with jetting

3. fresh chain and sprockets upgrade

4. And usually there's riding gear with some used bikes.

But either way, new or used, the DRZ just has that extra torque the WR just can't manage to provide. I too just had the same choices, (Drz400SM or WR250X) The DRZ pulls nicely with a passenger, not so much with the WR.

Post this in a WR250R forum and you will get quite the different answer. I have owned two DRZ400E's and also two WR250R's. My choice is the WRR. I did like the DRZ but you are right it does feel heavier than the WRR. The WRR has 10,000km service intervals and will sit on 140km/hr all day. I have swapped out the rear sprocket for a 48 tooth and switch between a 13 and 14 front for single track or open run respectively. I find the bike has plenty of mumbo once you stop being lazy and use the gear box.

We are doing a small bore Simpson Desert crossing later this year. I currently get 350+kms on a 15L Safari tank which is quite tidy on the WRR compared to the DRZ hefalump 17L Safari tank which will only give me 280kms. I may put a 290 Athena kit on the WR which would give it more bottom and mid range, but it does not really scream for it. We now have racks and panniers sets for both the WRR and the Aussie spec DRZ so both can be comfortably converted to an ADV/Trail bike.

The suspension is better out of the box on the WRR. I spent over a grand on tuning and revalving the suspension on one of the DRZs' which makes a huge difference, however spend $700 on the WRR and it simply rocks.

My choice having ridden and owned both bikes is the WRR. Being in the business (I am the owner of Adventure Moto) I do have plenty of experience of larger capacity Dual Sports and traillies, but I love the WRR as an all rounder.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hey Wolfman,

Thanks for the reply about the WRR. But look what you've done - messed with my Librian thingie - now I am back on the fence. I knew this would happen at some stage, which is a good thing, as I am not in a hurry to purchase.

Last time I was down at the shed picking up some stuff I bought from you, the WRR was in pieces. (Just an aside for fellow thumpertalk inmates, stevered is not a bad bloke and does some good deals on adv stuff - now that should get me a good discount for my next purchase).

Is the WRR about at the moment or on a trek somewhere? Any chance I can come by and have a look at you Adv'd WRR?

Cheers

Steve (of KLR650 fame)

Stevered, 140kmh all day eh ?

With mine i struggled to get it to hit 100KMH up slight inclines on the freeway, it would have to be pinned to the stop and revving the tits off to sit on 140 all day. the engine would do it but it isnt comfy.

On the plus side its the least vibrational single i've ridden so far, it feels very nice in single track and comfy and cushy on firetrails.

But i couldnt have fun on it even when i was working the gears and revving it, it just had no pull out of corners.

Its a good bike if you dont mind just plodding along and not racing around and having fun. the DRZ is better for that i reckon.

I would predicate the question of which bike on whether are not you will be riding to areas in which the DRZ will require re-jetting (extreme elevation changes).

If you intend to frequently trek back and forth from flatlands to mountains then the WR250R because it is fuel injected. If you are intend to do that only occasionally then the DRZ.

I have my drz jetted for sea level and ride up to about 4000 feet all the time. Runs a little fat up there, not enough to rejet though. 2-3 thousand foot range is really no difference. I am running stock cv carb, I hear the fcr is a bit more sensitive to altitude changes. My nephew has a wr250x- pipe and programmer on it- feels like something is wrong, has no torque. It wll cruise the highway fine, just boring getting to speed