calling all who know there cams

I just took the valve cover off my xl600 today to look for reasons why I get a pre ignition knock, still going to pull the head and look around,I run 125's in both carbs so I don't think it's that.

Anyway, the cam looks good no score marks or anything,but I thought stock cams would have a number like MG2-020 or something like that, but mine has R5 on it. So I ask the masses, anyone know what this thing is?

Many thanks

It's a stock cam..

thank you, pwrpapa, now for my next question, i have read that the center cam journal is prone to scorring, mine is, other than some oil pressure loss, how bad is this condition. I have read some people just clean them up and run it, I don,t have a problem with that, just curious what people out there think.

thank you, pwrpapa, now for my next question, i have read that the center cam journal is prone to scorring, mine is, other than some oil pressure loss, how bad is this condition. I have read some people just clean them up and run it, I don,t have a problem with that, just curious what people out there think.

You won`t lose oil pressure from it.....oil just flows through the cam and basically splash feeds it........if it`s really bad XR`s Only can weld it up and refinish it....if it`s not really had i`d either use 600 wet and dry and smooth it alittle.........or leave it be.......a pic would give us a better idea where you are on that though.......

B

I've ran cams that the center bearing was toast and never had a problem, one thing the center bearing does do though is keep the cam from bending or deflecting when the lobes are under pressure.

Go ahead and run it I think you'll be fine..

Like Brian said a picture would help....

thanks guys I will post pics when I get back to it in a day or two. I want to pull the head just to look for any problems, this things spark knock under load is driving me nuts, I've been working on bikes and toys for 38 years and never had this spark knock, just going to start at square one and work my way through, damn bikes, why couldn't I like stamps or something, oh yea.... no fun