Going pro

Hey guys this is my first post on this site. Ive been reading alot of threads, watching and studying videos, taking notes on everything i can to better every single aspect of my lifestyle/riding/mental and physical life; all for the reasons of moto. My goals are becoming a pro and I know i am going to get there. I never felt the need to post anything untill now after reading some very inspirational stuff on this site. I appreciate and respect all you guys that give positivity to everyone else on this site. Its exactly what the world needs.

Now onto my real reason for this post. Im 20 years old been riding/ a little racing off and on for 10 years and now i am on my way of going pro but let me tell u a lil about my past 2 years. I hadnt been riding for about 3 years and i bought a honda 250f. I bought it because i wanted to do what i love doing the most plus i know i have everything that it takes to become a pro. so i wanted to do that. i rode for about 2 months and tore my acl on a stupid crash that shouldnt have happened, i layed the bike over in a corner lol. On that note i was kinda happy about getting hurt because i knew that injuries are only part of the long, exciting road of a moto career. And i knew i was on my way. Long story short i ended up selling my bike because i neede money for bills. I got so pissed off at myself after the injury healed because now that i was all better i had nothing to ride. So i bought myself a 98 kx 250 2 banger just to have a bike and do some riding. I havnt rode the bike yet due to alot of family crap. but now that the dust has settled i got myself a very good paying job and am saving evey penny i have but spending every penny i need to get where i need to go.

now to the current time of my life. I realized after alot of reading and wisdom that i need a 125. Im 5'6 160 lbs. in very good shape and a 125 would be perfect for getting me for being fast. Any way i have a plan. i have a plan and actually following through on it and its getting me closer, faster then i thought to reaching my goals. My goals are to get to the ama pro level. I know that it is going to be a long hard journey. But to me when someone tells me that its going to be hard, but someone else has already done it, that just lets me know that i can do it that much better then they can. My brain and my body make that happen.

I still have the 98 kx 250 and an planning on selling it for a 125 very soon as soon as i get a seat cover for it. Its in very good condition so if theres anyone in az looking for a older but great shape kx let me know.

So anyway i just wanted to let everyone know that i am taking everyones advice, taking it to heart, and actually following through on it. I will and am following my dreams, and very soon i am going to get there. So if anyone had some advise or good words for me that would be great! Thanks for spending the time to read my post, Cody.

p.s. part of my plans do include lorettas. If you are to ask me what my plans are to follow through on this i could be writing this all night long but I really do have it all planned out. And once i have a plan I am unstoppable.

I would love to talk and ask questions and answer all questions to anyone who takes the time to read this. Thanks again everyone.

I think the best advice I constantly hear is have a backup plan, while I admire your ambition, realize that only 100 people or so make a living riding bikes, and that's what Faisst's father told him. I say go for it, but have a backup plan.

That said, back to you. What's your race history? What classes do you race in? Are you capable of being the best locally first? All these are just thing you should look at first, people get into this "going pro" mindset and they hold themselves back. "One can miss his target by aiming too low, or aiming too high". read that last part carefully. Make lots of smaller goals that you can achieve, but always keep the ultimate goal in the picture, and you may one day get there.

I'm not gonna say you can't but it's a long shot and realize that you might fail and that's ok, it's part of life, the question is, how are you gonna pick yourself up if you do? Best of luck man.

thanks kawazuki, yeah i do have a backup plan. my back up plan is whats making me money to support my moto career, its a win win situation. And my race history is short but its there. my first series i entered was on a 65 in the amx state championship series in the beginner class and i was first. after that my family and i couldnt afford much racing so i just rode out at the track when we could afford it. but on my big bike I havnt raced much. I hold my own against the best local intermediate riders, trust me when i say the best. When you mentioned the small goals deal, i have that on my list of to-do's aswell. I read this book called the Kaisen way and it teaches all about making small goals, and when you use small goals in que with your big goals, it not only helps you achieve your main goal faster, but it also gives you the confidence as well. Its pretty amazing. Those chinese really have it figured out haha.

But to your question about the capability of me being the best locally. yes i have all the help and tools at the tips of my fingers. the only thing thats not allowing me to access them is the money. But i have been, like you mentioned before, taking small steps to get the money thing situated and it has actually came amazingly faster then i imagined. I will be out on the track in no time and i will be persuing my goals proving people like "choppertown" wrong. Keep an eye out for my name. Its Cody Wayman. Dont forget it, Because i will get here because I have God on my side and with Him all things are possible.

First of all, it's kaizen, not kaisen...and it's Japanese, not Chinese. Kaizen is about change, it has very little to do with setting small goals...it encourages small incremental improvement. Lean manufacturing is just the latest version of common sense, and I woudn't really apply it to a young man trying to be a motocross rider.

I genuinely hope you're a great rider, cuz reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Maybe back to school and spend more time listening.

Tryin to bring a dose of reality to this discussion...

Cody, I don't know where to start. First I would never tell you to not chase your dreams, but like others have posted, have a backup plan. I will tell you one thing though, I personally have never even heard of a pro rider who, at 19, had never raced (and done well) at the local expert level. Some will point out Dungey, but he was racing at the NATIONAL B level (at 17), which a quite a step up from local A or expert. Not saying that it's impossible, it's just unheard of. That being what it is, do you have the necessary assets to train/ride at least 6 hours per day?? If not, then your ability to achieve the stated goal will be greatly diminished. My advice ? Get an education, it'll last a lifetime.?

1. Practice, Practice, Practice!

2. Join the local district you are part of a race a series week in an out. See where you are and what you need to work on to get you to A level status.

3. Get some sponsors even it's 10% on parts, every bit will help.

4. Try to race some of the big regional races.

5. Try to qualify for the Lorettas when you're ready.

Race clean and enjoy the ride ?

First of all, it's kaizen, not kaisen...and it's Japanese, not Chinese. Kaizen is about change, it has very little to do with setting small goals...it encourages small incremental improvement. Lean manufacturing is just the latest version of common sense, and I woudn't really apply it to a young man trying to be a motocross rider.

I genuinely hope you're a great rider, cuz reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Maybe back to school and spend more time listening.

Tryin to bring a dose of reality to this discussion...

The book is all about how taking small steps can help you reach your goals. The whole entire book is revolved around it. Apart from the book, you bashing me about my ability to punctuate my sentences has nothing to do with this site and nothing to do with moto. If you want to talk about literature please go to another forum on another site. Im a dirtbike rider talking about dirtbike things on a dirtbike website, telling people that i am already successful in all other aspects in my life and the next is motocross. P.s the book clearly states in the title, "one small step can change your life" and it means anything i want it to change, so back off man.

are you kidding me??

ha yeah i know it sounds kinda weird man but its just the way i am. My whole life I always wanted to get into a car accident and one day it finally happened and when it did i could not stop laughing till the cops showed up. (By the way I was driving down the freeway and my rim broke around the lugs. I smashed into the median and totalled the truck.)

you could if you dedicated all your time , heart and soul... but it will be verrryyy difficult to get recognised... just keep saying to yourself you wont make it.. that will ake you want to prove yourself wrong... it also costs alot at first to get a new bike and good motor and suspension to be able to go pro

ha yeah i know it sounds kinda weird man but its just the way i am. My whole life I always wanted to get into a car accident and one day it finally happened and when it did i could not stop laughing till the cops showed up. (By the way I was driving down the freeway and my rim broke around the lugs. I smashed into the median and totalled the truck.)

That ain't right...

Maybe you're crazy enough to pull your plan off. Not being rude, but if you WANT to get into an accident, you're not playing with a full deck.

If you went pro, would you also want James Stewart to land on you, coming off of a big triple?

Cody, I don't know where to start. First I would never tell you to not chase your dreams, but like others have posted, have a backup plan. I will tell you one thing though, I personally have never even heard of a pro rider who, at 19, had never raced (and done well) at the local expert level. Some will point out Dungey, but he was racing at the NATIONAL B level (at 17), which a quite a step up from local A or expert. Not saying that it's impossible, it's just unheard of. That being what it is, do you have the necessary assets to train/ride at least 6 hours per day?? If not, then your ability to achieve the stated goal will be greatly diminished. My advice ? Get an education, it'll last a lifetime.?

In my opinion age does not and should not matter. No disrespect but who is to say that some punk 15 - 17 year old would have a better shot at something than i do? Its not like im 30 competing against them. Its all how bad i want it and what im willing to do to get it. So far thats my biggest advantage, that i want it more then anyone else does. True fact. The only thing is getting started again, and once i get the ball rolling it will all fall into place. :confused: I will keep you and everyone posted on how things are going!

That ain't right...

Maybe you're crazy enough to pull your plan off. Not being rude, but if you WANT to get into an accident, you're not playing with a full deck.

If you went pro, would you also want James Stewart to land on you, coming off of a big triple?

I forgot to put in "to get into an accident and be able to walk away scratch free from it" I really shoulda put that in there ha

I don't know how to respond. *** is wrong with you?