99 YZ 250 knock after rebuild

Did the bottom end and replaced the piston in this motor. It starts and runs like a champ but when it gets hot there is a knock at idle. It disappears when I give it gas. Its a wiseco piston. The cylinder has no marking of A,b,c,or d neither did the piston that came out. I know that year came with 4 different size pistons. I'm assuming the piston I got in the kit was SIze a and that the knocking when its hot is from the piston being too small. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be fuel mixture causing detonation at idle? Try to adjust your air screw (Clockwise) to increase fuel richness at idle.

Any chance that your power valves are hitting the piston? Pull off your pipe and look at the piston through the exhaust port. Are they connected and set correctly?

If these are ok, call wiseco and ask them about the piston size.

i have the same prob on my 05 and i think its the topend because i put in my second piston after the barell was replated and i think its gone too big for the piston, this noise isnt costant either which bugs the hell out of me. it happens when the bike is just about to shut off and then when i rev it it stops. does this sound familiar jeremyzdead

I had the same thing happen to my '00 model. Pulled it apart and took the cylinder & piston to machine shop and had them check it with mic and bore gauge. The cylinder turned out to be a D and the piston was a B. Ordered the correct piston and the issue was resolved.

I'd do the same if I were you. It won't be good long term with that piston flopping around in the bore.