Who's running a skidplate and how do you change your oil?

I recently started running a heavy duty offroad skidplate. It was long overdue. It has a slot in the bottom where you can pull the drain plug, but I don't really see any way to drain the oil without making a mess. This thing is kind of a pain to take on and off. How are you other offroad guys doing it.

I used to run a heavy duty plate as you are referring to an had the same prob and had to take it off every time I changed the oil or made a mess. I now run a six days plastic skid plate that is yet to fail me and all it takes is a twist of the retaining clip and it drops down. Haven't even had a problem with it coming lose while riding. I got mine at rockymountainmc.com

My skidplate has a hole....you remove the plug and drain the oil through the hole. Is easy and mess free. If you hole isn't big enough a grinder with a cutting disk can fix that for you.

I just take the skid plate off. Gives me a chance to clean out all the crap that builds up in there. If your skid plate uses ths clamps, just use some RTV silicone to hold them in place. Makes reinstalling the plate super simple.

I welded tabs onto the frame with nuts welded on the backside instead of the hooks the skid plate comes with. I can take the skid plate on and off a lot faster.

This has now been added to my winter project list. Thanks for the idea!

I run a WC aluminum glide plate, and the oil flows perfectly out of the hole in the plate. It's not like there is twenty gallons of oil in there under pressure or anything... A little oil on the skid plate will come out eventually. I take mine off once a year for a thorough cleaning before it gets put away for the winter, but I sure as hell wouldn't take it off for every oil change.

The WC glide plate that I used to run was the same way. The hole was in the perfect position, not so on the Ricochet skid.

donutman126,

All my mud comes from the front wheel slinging it between the pipe and skid plate. It accumulates quick without foam, but the foam is hard to clean w/o taking the skid plate off. So I just blast the leaves, rocks, mud, grit, sand, and sticks out of there with a pressure washer.