Sign in to follow this  

Need suggestions

I'm planning to purchase a new Dirtbike this coming Friday and I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure out which one I'm gonna be the happiest with. I'm really having trouble deciding not only between the 2 Stroke and 4 strokes but on the Brand and size as well.

Background Info: 5'11 35 y.o. 120 lbs. I've previously owned a KDX-80 when I was a teen and I loved that bike. Honestly hate I ever got rid of it. It was a 2 Stroke, but I only ever remember it fouling 2 plugs in the 7 years that I owned it. I also remember my first hard lessons learned on what a Power-Band was. The bike at the time would eat a dr-100 on straight stretches. I'm not a motocross rider by any means, but I do tend to have my rpms at a higher level than a lower one.

Here are some of the bikes that I'm currently considering and I may even end up getting two of them since I can't decide (lol):

2011 KLX 140 - my feet are totally flat on the ground when I sit on this bike, but I'm not uncomfortably low. I'm really curious how this bike will perform against the KX100 in 1v1 straight line racing. Also not sure of the differences between the 140 and the 140L except it's taller with bigger wheels. I would like to verify it's not any faster, but what about a smoother ride? Not sure if this bike is gonna have quite the punch I'm looking for but not sure since I've never ridden one.

2011 KX-100 - I'm really leaning towards this bike but from a lot of the input I've read thus far, the newer ones appear to be far more problematic than the older ones with respect to frying pistons and fouling plugs. I have no experience to know if this is true or not though.

2011 CRF150R- I haven't seen this bike yet. Going to look at one tomorrow.

2011 YZ125- Haven't set on one of these either and again concerned about constantly fouling plugs, but love the thought of the power bands.

2011 CRF 230 - I sat on this bike today but I was on my toes. I'm concerned it's a little too high off the ground as I ride in very hilly terrain sometimes. Also curious how this bike will perform against the others I have listed here.

Any help/input/or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by csburris

Welcome to TT, and back to the greatest motorsport on the planet, sounds like it's been way too long for you! What type of riding do you intend on doing mostly. Trails? Track? A little of both? It might help us give you better feedback if we know what your intent is. Don't be intimidated at the height of the bikes you are looking at. Alot of riders do not touch flat footed on the ground while on the bike. It may give you a better sense of security and make you feel more comfortable while starting out riding again, but it is not necessary. Why not look into a bike that you will not outgrow so quickly? Something like a 250F. You are 5'11"? I'm only 5'8", and I started riding on a 250F. I had never thrown a leg over a bike ever. It was a little intimidating at first, but I got the hang of it fairly quickly, and it gave me years of room to grow. Just an idea.

Only track I'll be riding on is really a homemade one with some friends. That said, it's some very sweet hills and jumps to it too. The terrain has a lot of deep dips and if I ever need to stop I don't want to screw myself or my bike over. But I'll also be heading to the Uwharrie Mountains to ride the trails. That said, I guess I should research to insure they even allow 2Strokes to still ride there. I guess I just prefer the lower cc bikes for their weights and ablility to throw them around a little easier and if I get into the throttle a little too much, and dont want to be going 90mph. Also, my son will be turning 11 soon. He's not experienced at all and never ridden a dirtbike. I'm looking for a bike that may one day work for him too. I rode my buddies CRF100 and I definitely would like a little more power than that. I'm currently flying around the track on a polaris rzr 800. But its throwing mad dirt and rocks on the bikers. If it matters I will probably not ride the bike more than 1-2 days a week if that. Oh and I'm a bit of a balls to the wall type of guy speed wise. The 250's go much, much faster than I'm hoping to, or so I've been led to believe. Only ridden the KTM250 and its got way more power than I want or need.

PS: What do you think of your TTR230?

We own an 06' TTR230. My wife rides it. It has been a great bike for her, and other beginners learning to ride. The electric start is nice, and it's been very reliable. The things that I don't like about it are: It feels heavy for that small of a bike, and it has no back up kickstart. It handles like a woods/play bike should in the power and suspension dept. If you like to really get on the gas, and you like to hit jumps and stuff you will probably be dissapointed. But it does very well for itself on the trails. You could consider looking into a WR250F, or a CRF250X. (Not to be confused with the MX bikes 250F's) They are competition TRAIL bikes, and probably will keep you grinning from ear to ear for a long time. Suspension, and power is far susperior to the XR's, TTR's, CRF230's, and other simular play bikes. If you get a WR250F, you can leave it corked up until you decide you want more power, then uncork it and unleash the beast that it can be. I get the fact that you want to be able to pass this bike on to your son at some point, so I now understand why a guy who is 5'11" is looking for such a small bike. My friend's boy, (14) and my neighbors boy, (15) both learned to ride on my wifes TTR, and took to it really well.

Here are some of the bikes that I'm currently considering and I may even end up getting two of them since I can't decide (lol):

2011 KLX 140 - my feet are totally flat on the ground when I sit on this bike, but I'm not uncomfortably low.

2011 CRF 230 - I sat on this bike today but I was on my toes. I'm concerned it's a little too high off the ground as I ride in very hilly terrain sometimes. QUOTE]

Remember that usually the lower the bike is, the more ground clearance you are giving up. And higher ground clearance is beneficial out on the trails when it comes time to clear obstacles (EI: logs/roots/rocks/ruts ect...)

It can mean the difference of carrying your bike over obstacles or riding over them sometimes. :thumbsup:

I didn't start riding until I was 25 in 2002. I started on a YZ250F MX bike, then moved to a WR450F, and have never been able to touch more than my toes on the ground. Hasn't been a problem for me, and probably won't be an issue for you either once you get comfortable on a bike again.

Thank you much for the info. You totally steered me away from the TTR. No backup kick starter was all it took for that one lol. You've got me extremely interested in the wr250F now though. I'm going to go look at one today (if they have one in) at www.ridenowconcord.com. If you have time could you check that site out and give me your opinion on their asking price and what I maybe should offer. At this point I've decided to go with 2 bikes. A bigger bike is gonna make my kid unhappy and a smaller one is gonna make me be less than happy for what I'm planning to spend. He's very short and a total motorcycle and offroad beginner so I'm gonna start him out very very small with a 50 or 70 until he gets up to speed. Not to sound like a noob, but in your earlier post you mention pull the cork out? All my buddies are gear heads, but I'm the computer guy of the group lol. What did you mean by that specifically? Or was that just your way of saying when you want to get on it, the power is there? Thanks again for all the helpful input! It's much appreciated. I just went out and looked on the website...no need in making you go there. They have MSRP at 6850.00, and they have their price set at 6224.00.

Thank you much for the info. You totally steered me away from the TTR. No backup kick starter was all it took for that one lol. You've got me extremely interested in the wr250F now though. I'm going to go look at one today (if they have one in) at www.ridenowconcord.com. If you have time could you check that site out and give me your opinion on their asking price and what I maybe should offer. At this point I've decided to go with 2 bikes. A bigger bike is gonna make my kid unhappy and a smaller one is gonna make me be less than happy for what I'm planning to spend. He's very short and a total motorcycle and offroad beginner so I'm gonna start him out very very small with a 50 or 70 until he gets up to speed. Not to sound like a noob, but in your earlier post you mention pull the cork out? All my buddies are gear heads, but I'm the computer guy of the group lol. What did you mean by that specifically? Or was that just your way of saying when you want to get on it, the power is there? Thanks again for all the helpful input! It's much appreciated. I just went out and looked on the website...no need in making you go there. They have MSRP at 6850.00, and they have their price set at 6224.00.

I couldn't really tell you what is a fair price, since price varies from area to area, but what I normally do is get on Craigslist and type in say WR250F and look for what other owners are selling theirs for in your area, and base what you are willing to spend on that. When I say uncorked, I mean de-restricted. They come choked up from the factory to meet 50 state emissions requirements. With a few free simple mods and a couple others, you can really open up the bike. Here's a link that walks you through the mods.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/free_mods.htm#WR

You may just want to ride it as is for awhile, then eventually do the mods when you are ready. It will feel like a totally different bike when you do these cheap mods though.

Keep in mind that the link I sent you is for the older model WR's but still applies to the new Aluminum framed ones as well. With just a few minor changes. It will give you the basic idea though, and there are tons of threads in the WR forum to help you complete it. All the mods can be done in a couple of hours or less, if you have friends that are good with a wrench.

I just went in and totally ended up going with the KX250F. With the deals they were running on them I was able to get the bike far cheaper than I could've gotten the WR250F for. I'm not sure how the two bikes compare speed wise, but I just felt more comfy on the kx250F for some reason. It may be from my past experience w/ my kdx 80...not sure. Only thing I liked about the WR250F was the fact that it had a head light, but when I started to think about it I simply won't be riding in the dark.

I also ended up going with a TTR 110 (has both electric start and kick start) for my son. As mentioned earlier he has no experience, and while I know the bike is a bit on the small side, keep in mind I have a 7 year old daughter that learning how to ride a bicycle without training wheels right now. I'll have her on it very shortly after he's outgrown it. It's an auto tranny (no clutch), but I'm not even sure how many gears it has. Guess I should go look that up.

I didn't realize they were placing restrictor plates on them now. That's good info to have. Do you have any links for mods for the KX250F like was provided for the WR250F by chance?

Again thanks for all of your input, you've been much more helpful than you probably even realize!

<---video of me jumping my Robby Gordon Edt Polaris 800 EFI 4 seater.

I just went in and totally ended up going with the KX250F. With the deals they were running on them I was able to get the bike far cheaper than I could've gotten the WR250F for. I'm not sure how the two bikes compare speed wise, but I just felt more comfy on the kx250F for some reason. It may be from my past experience w/ my kdx 80...not sure. Only thing I liked about the WR250F was the fact that it had a head light, but when I started to think about it I simply won't be riding in the dark.

I also ended up going with a TTR 110 (has both electric start and kick start) for my son. As mentioned earlier he has no experience, and while I know the bike is a bit on the small side, keep in mind I have a 7 year old daughter that learning how to ride a bicycle without training wheels right now. I'll have her on it very shortly after he's outgrown it. It's an auto tranny (no clutch), but I'm not even sure how many gears it has. Guess I should go look that up.

I didn't realize they were placing restrictor plates on them now. That's good info to have. Do you have any links for mods for the KX250F like was provided for the WR250F by chance?

Again thanks for all of your input, you've been much more helpful than you probably even realize!

<---video of me jumping my Robby Gordon Edt Polaris 800 EFI 4 seater.

Congrats! :thumbsup: That 250F will be a blast! Like I said earlier, I started on a 250F and rode it for 5-6 years, and absolutely loved it. It's not a trail bike it's a closed course mx bike, so there's no de-restriction mods to be done. If you're going to ride public land you are going to need a spark arrestor though. Look into the Pro Moto Billet Spark Arrestor/End Cap.

Here's a link:

http://www.northcoastmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=378_554_511_515&products_id=1882

I went ahead and orderd an fmf pro pipe with a billet spark arrestor and a bolt on kick stand. Don't want to have to rely on a tree or vehicle to lean it up against and hate using the wheel stands. They should be in on Tues. Also made em them throw in a bunch of other accessories to basically gear my kid out for safety. For the kx, I bought Monster Graphics Sticker Kit and am working on getting those on now. I'll have some pics on my phone, but I haven't xferred em yet. I'll post some soon. Test drove the bike for about 10 mins today and Wow. This bike gets ya there in a hurry. I can already tell it's a wheely monster with its current configuration. Can't wait to get it to our track and try it out. But tomorrow, I'm just carrying the TTR110 and gonna teach my boy how to ride. Let the good times roll! :thumbsup:

It's funny how you mention getting a bike your son can grow into - when I was a kid I went from an old YZ50 to taking my mom's TY175 (old trials bike) out. I used to have to stand it against a tree stump to get on it. If he wants to ride, it won't matter how much bigger it is than him. My money says he'll be taking your KX for a spin by next year. And your daughter will be right behind him -

Have fun!!