Sign in to follow this  

dirt bike short blocks.......

RockyMountainATV, motosport.com, etc. all having starting blocks for guys with abbreviated height. I've got a vet rider friend who uses them to get started on his CRF450R. I've thought about trying them myself because my bike is tall...:thumbsup:

...but if you mean the assembled lower half of the engine, I'd try Ebay

im guessing you are talking about the cylinder or just bottom end so try ebay....if you are talking about just a cylinder then you might be better off with a new oem one then

im guessing you are talking about the cylinder or just bottom end so try ebay....if you are talking about just a cylinder then you might be better off with a new oem one then

A short block is a re-manufactured oem engine, minus the electrics. A long block is the same thing, only with electrics. There are a few companies that sell them for pwc's I was just wondering if there were any companies that supply them for dirt bikes.

all a dirt bike has for electrics is a stator, cdi, and coil so you are going to have to get each part you need separate. By a short block i though you meant a motor without a head or maybe without a cylinder.

all a dirt bike has for electrics is a stator, cdi, and coil so you are going to have to get each part you need separate. By a short block i though you meant a motor without a head or maybe without a cylinder.

Yes, those are the only components that are on 2 stroke pwc engines also. A short block assembly for either type contains everything except flywheel and electrics.

So, a short block bike engine would be a completely assembled and ready to install in the frame setup, minus electrics and flywheel.

Yes, those are the only components that are on 2 stroke pwc engines also. A short block assembly for either type contains everything except flywheel and electrics.

So, a short block bike engine would be a completely assembled and ready to install in the frame setup, minus electrics and flywheel.

you can get motors without electronics on ebay, but people dont call them short blocks, just search engine and there might be some with electronics, but most are without. I usually hear the term short block used with assembled car engines without the head.

there is alot of meanings to short blocks. small block car motors are also known as short blocks. porsha has a short and long block motor.

as for dirtbike motors, yes, a short block is a ready to go motor exept for the electronics and flywheel. as for who has them...maybe service honda? if not, then id still call them and see if they might know.

Hey y'all

I was trying to be funny earlier--didn't get any laughs though. My bad.

I used to build hi-po car engines and this is how the terminology was used.

Short block -- the assembled lower half of the engine, consisting of block, crank, rods, pistons, oil pan, oil pump, water pump. Doesn't matter if it's new, used, remanufactured, etc.

Long block -- same as above plus including the cam, heads, valve train. I don't remember if long blocks included ignition systems. Again, doesn't matter it it's new, used, remanufactured, etc.

If you bought a long block, you still needed to install the intake and exhaust systems.