Sign in to follow this  

front fork questions

a while back i made a post about how much fork seals should weep.Well one morning i went out to the shop and noticed a small puddle of oil on the floor so i cleaned the seals and wipers with 35mm film and it stopped.How would i know if there is no oil in there at all?Because last night i went for a ride and noticed it was riding kind of rough in the front.

"no oil at all" is unlikely, they hold a lot. How big was the puddle on the floor? There is no way to check the oil content, you need to tear down and refill with the correct measured amount.

no the puddle was not that large and as soon as i cleaned the seals it stopped so that is what i thought i just needed someone to clear my mind maybe i just need to soften up the front.Thanks for the reply.

What you really need is someone to dial in the suspenders for you. Then you'll be real happy! There is some fine tuning available by adjusting the amount of ail in the fork since the oil displaces air, which compresses. But you need to be smarter than me to mess with that.

so the most my forks can hold is 405ml(13.5oz) i know that much did not leak out but i have other people telling me not to ride the bike until i rebuild the forks.I am confused:banghead:

so the most my forks can hold is 405ml(13.5oz) i know that much did not leak out but i have other people telling me not to ride the bike until i rebuild the forks.I am confused:banghead:

1. if the forks are leaking, then they leaked much more oil than what you saw on the floor (leaked while you were riding).

2. You can drain the oil your self and re-install.

3. No matter what, you need to remove the forks (even to change the oil)

4. you need to find out why they leak.

Usually it is from not washing the bike properly, and dried dirt gets under the wipers, then the seals, tearing them. That or nicks on the fork tubes.

1. if the forks are leaking, then they leaked much more oil than what you saw on the floor (leaked while you were riding).

2. You can drain the oil your self and re-install.

3. No matter what, you need to remove the forks (even to change the oil)

4. you need to find out why they leak.

Usually it is from not washing the bike properly, and dried dirt gets under the wipers, then the seals, tearing them. That or nicks on the fork tubes.

:thumbsup: That covers what you should do.

when i noticed the forks were leaking i stopped it right away.i ride once a week and when i saw the leak i did not ride.I just got the bike so i am trying to stay on top of things.So you still think i lost too much fluid?

when i noticed the forks were leaking i stopped it right away.i ride once a week and when i saw the leak i did not ride.I just got the bike so i am trying to stay on top of things.So you still think i lost too much fluid?

It could of been leaking for some time before you got it and maybe it was cleaned off and did not start again until you started riding. Trust me when I say, you dont want to run empty unexpected on you shocks. A bad crash and a broken hip later makes me very careful. Its not that hard to dump the oil and refill it. Be safe and be sure. Its the right thing to do IMHO.:thumbsup:

so what do i put in there for oil i am going to do this weekend or next week.i guess what i am asking is there a substitute oil or do i have to run honda fork oil?And thanks for all the help.

so is will shock oil be the same as fork oil or will shock oil work as long as it is 5w.Where i live none of the dealer ships sell bikes so the do not stock the oil:bonk: