Sign in to follow this  

2006 f350 possessed !!!

Hey guys, my dad has a 2006 Ford F350 4x4 6.0L, ~106,000 miles. Recently there have been a few VERY DANGEROUS events with this truck.

The truck will at random start to veer off of the road, at even 25 mph you it is a big struggle to keep it on the road. The first time it happened 3 lanes were crossed in each direction at 55 mph. It is not safe to drive in this condition.

The thing is, we can't figure out what is wrong with it. It only happens intermittently. Here's what we've checked and know to be good:

-After the first instance, we had a local tire/alignment shop look at truck. They re-aligned it, put on new shocks. They said that the ball-joints, tie-rod ends, and king pins were in good shape.

-Power steering fluid is full.

-Tires are in like new condition and are balanced. Rotated the tires front to rear.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? It is definitely bizarre to say the least. Any help would be appreciated.

Please elaborate on

"The truck will at random start to veer off of the road, at even 25 mph you it is a big struggle to keep it on the road."

as in you lose any power assist? is it feeling like you stalled the engine and trying to armstrong your power steering?......I have seen an air conditioning compressor lock up, in conjunction with a weak belt tesioner stall the belt .... also it could just be the Pump going bad or brake booster letting the fluid just bypass...... if you can get the symptom to duplicate make sure the belt and power steering pully are spinning together and then I would check the hydraulic pressure no pressure change the pump plenty of dead head pressure but no pressure assembled change the brake booster or just change both

It's not like you just lose power steering, the truck actually will start to pull off the road, and at that point there's nothing you can do about it.

I will have them check the belt and tensioner/idler pulley.

Semi trucks i work on, have done that, and we found it was the valving in the steering box, we replace the steering boxes. might be your problem, no good way to test it because its intermitent, doubt its your pump or belt, you'd notice that more in high stress turning, like standstill turning.

my f350 did this once and put me into a ditch.. luckily 4x4 was able to pull me out

first i replaced my steering box.. problem went away for a while. then it happened again. front passenger side axle u-joints were ALL bad, along with the wheel bearing.. they would lock in an odd position and then it was a fight to keep the truck on the road. look into that (if the truck is a 4x4.. otherwise it wont have front axle u joints i dont think)

my f350 did this once and put me into a ditch.. luckily 4x4 was able to pull me out

first i replaced my steering box.. problem went away for a while. then it happened again. front passenger side axle u-joints were ALL bad, along with the wheel bearing.. they would lock in an odd position and then it was a fight to keep the truck on the road. look into that (if the truck is a 4x4.. otherwise it wont have front axle u joints i dont think)

Bingo...I have seen this myself many times.

Jack up the front end, block the rear tires, put truck in neutral, lock in the hubs, leave the steering column unlocked (ignition one notch forward).

Turn the wheel about half way from center to fully turned. Attempt to spin the tires by hand. If they bind or make grinding noises or you cannot spin the tire at all, there is your problem. Replace axle joints.

Bingo...I have seen this myself many times.

Jack up the front end, block the rear tires, put truck in neutral, lock in the hubs, leave the steering column unlocked (ignition one notch forward).

Turn the wheel about half way from center to fully turned. Attempt to spin the tires by hand. If they bind or make grinding noises or you cannot spin the tire at all, there is your problem. Replace axle joints.

dumb me, i missed the 4wd clause in his post, i've seen those u-joints w/ powdered needle bearings, and never cause a problem, i suppose it could bind on return steering. hard to diagnose 1300 miles away site unseen.

dumb me, i missed the 4wd clause in his post, i've seen those u-joints w/ powdered needle bearings, and never cause a problem, i suppose it could bind on return steering. hard to diagnose 1300 miles away site unseen.

By the time they're powdered, the problem is past....it's when they're dry and the needle bearings are seized before they turn to powder that they're dangerous and can cause some whacky steering issues.

This is also why a simple wiggle at the joint to check for play isn't enough....gotta check free range of motion.

I have seen this in U-joints too, where a customer will complain about a vibration, and the joint will still move through the range of motion under power and load, but once you remove the shaft from the vehicle, you can't move it without beating on it with a hammer. What causes the vibe in that situation is the loading up and release of the driveline through the suspension, causing the wheels to "hop" as the driveline releases it's pent up energy.

A good way to help prevent this is to engage the 4x4 about once per month on a non-paved surface and let those joints rotate and work the grease around.

When replacing, always use a greasable joint, this way you can force fresh grease into the needle bearings at each maintenance interval.

I need to replace my axel u joints. Just noticed that one cap was barly slighty lifted. Makes a slight noise at full turn. Not too bad now, but would hate to have it let me down when I really need it.

I need to replace my axel u joints. Just noticed that one cap was barly slighty lifted. Makes a slight noise at full turn. Not too bad now, but would hate to have it let me down when I really need it.

Replace it now, don't use 4x4 until you do.....if it fails and comes apart, what was a $100 job (axle joints and seals) now could become a $500+ dollar job when it thrashes the knuckle.

Another thing, binding U-joints is the most common cause of locking hub failure. More often than not, customers would complain their 4x4 wasn't working, and it was a blown hub caused by a fried axle joint.

I'm sorry that it took so long for me to get back on here and give you guys an update, things have been very busy with school.

You guys were right on the money, the problem was the U-joints. They were worn and severely binding. I would have never thought of that.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are the greatest!

Richard

BTW This truck has seen a lot of 4x4 use. I would bet that about 10% of the miles that this truck has on it were in 4x4. Between the snowy winters and muddy roads / off-road at the farm we use 4x4 a lot. Not sure if the stock u-joints were greasable? If they were, I'm pretty certain that they have never been greased.

I'm sorry that it took so long for me to get back on here and give you guys an update, things have been very busy with school.

You guys were right on the money, the problem was the U-joints. They were worn and severely binding. I would have never thought of that.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are the greatest!

Richard

BTW This truck has seen a lot of 4x4 use. I would bet that about 10% of the miles that this truck has on it were in 4x4. Between the snowy winters and muddy roads / off-road at the farm we use 4x4 a lot. Not sure if the stock u-joints were greasable? If they were, I'm pretty certain that they have never been greased.

IDK about the Super Duty's, but the old body style F-series, the stockers were not greasable.

I think most stockers are non-greaseable. They do this so when they fail you will come back to the shop (after warrenty ) and pay out your...... nose to have the stealership fix it. My opinion. Wont be able to fix my truck till after memorial weekend.... hope she holds, definatly not using my truck to get wood :smirk: (keeping fingers crossed)

I think most stockers are non-greaseable. They do this so when they fail you will come back to the shop (after warrenty ) and pay out your...... nose to have the stealership fix it. My opinion. Wont be able to fix my truck till after memorial weekend.... hope she holds, definatly not using my truck to get wood :smirk: (keeping fingers crossed)

To be honest, I used to do just as many under warranty as I did customer pay tickets....and one warranty ticket eats up all the profit from 10 customer pay jobs.

I think what it really comes down to is A) Grease guns are becoming antiques, like rotary phones and console TV's and :smirk: most folks use 4x4 a handful of times per year at most anyways.