Sign in to follow this  

Slave Rebuild

Anyone have experience rebuilding their clutch slave cylinder? Mine is blowing fluid out of the weep hole which I understand requires a rebuild. If I'm correct with my assumption, anyone out there done this before who could provide some insight into what I have to do? Wondering which parts are required etc.

Thanks,

A rebuild is pretty easy with a rebuild kit. I would disassemble your old one first and check for signs of wear. If the finish is worn off the inside, you're probably better off just buying a complete new slave cylinder instead.

A rebuild is pretty easy with a rebuild kit. I would disassemble your old one first and check for signs of wear. If the finish is worn off the inside, you're probably better off just buying a complete new slave cylinder instead.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. The clutch pressure failed very quickly, as in while sitting out between sessions (within 20 minutes). No signs of oil before that point or changes to feel in the clutch. Makes me wonder why it failed so quickly. Does it have a rubber diaphram or something that could just completely fail?

Wow. I just checked Munn Racing and a new slave cylinder for your 450 is $235. That's about $100 more than it was for my 250. The rebuild kit is $57 and looks like it comes with a new spring, piston, diaphragm, a couple of o-rings and snap ring.

You might want to check the fluid level before you get too carried away. If it's low, add some fluid, bleed it, and see if that does the trick. You mentioned leaking fluid from the weap hole. Can you get a pic? I've never seen a weep hole on a hyd slave cylinder.

Wow. I just checked Munn Racing and a new slave cylinder for your 450 is $235. That's about $100 more than it was for my 250. The rebuild kit is $57 and looks like it comes with a new spring, piston, diaphragm, a couple of o-rings and snap ring.

You might want to check the fluid level before you get too carried away. If it's low, add some fluid, bleed it, and see if that does the trick. You mentioned leaking fluid from the weap hole. Can you get a pic? I've never seen a weep hole on a hyd slave cylinder.

The first thing I checked was the fluid level. We actually put more fluid in, bled it, then watched it just piss out the weep hole every time I squeezed the clutch lever. The weep hole is on the bottom of the slave casing, you'll have to lay on the ground to get a good look. Tough to see especially if it isn't leaking!

As far as repairing it, I actually got a rebuild at the local shop this week due to me being on travel for work. I believe the rebuild kits are around $45 however with a cover that may push it up to the $245 price tag. Still a bit high wouldn't you say! Fortunately no cover required for me. Everything seems to be working as it should so I'm ready for a weekend ride.