Sign in to follow this  

Kinda proud of myself. =P

Just got my bike a short time ago and took it to the shop and had them run some tests on it. All came back great they just suggested I replace a few things before i really let her loose. A clutch cable being one of them. They were going to charge me about $250 after parts and labor. I said screw that. So without knowing anything about it and I dont have my clymer yet I thought "how hard could it be". So I dove in. it was more difficult then I expected but still relatively easy. I finished it in about an hour and a half and saved myself $250. I was rather proud of myself. LOL. Silly I know but im not the type of guy that usually does his own work on mechanical stuff. I couldn't believe they were going to charge me that much for something that simple. So I wanted to say thank you to the people on here that were telling me "just dive in, its not as hard as you think". So just wanted to say thanks.. :thumbsup:

Just got my bike a short time ago and took it to the shop and had them run some tests on it. All came back great they just suggested I replace a few things before i really let her loose. A clutch cable being one of them. They were going to charge me about $250 after parts and labor. I said screw that. So without knowing anything about it and I dont have my clymer yet I thought "how hard could it be". So I dove in. it was more difficult then I expected but still relatively easy. I finished it in about an hour and a half and saved myself $250. I was rather proud of myself. LOL. Silly I know but im not the type of guy that usually does his own work on mechanical stuff. I couldn't believe they were going to charge me that much for something that simple. So I wanted to say thank you to the people on here that were telling me "just dive in, its not as hard as you think". So just wanted to say thanks.. :thumbsup:

Most shops charge $75 an hr. labor. If you did it in 1 hr. they should be able to do it in half. I would have asked them where they got that cost from. Most shops work off of a flat rate suggested time for a job. I try to do as much as I can myself, and if I had to bring it somewhere, I would call around. Try and find someone that others recommend. Good job on doing it yourself.

ya they are kinda spendy. also how hard are fork seals to do??? Thats another one they wanted like $350 for but when i get my Clymer I'm hoping I can do them myself also.

Crap and I'm sorry it was actually the Throttle cable. Either way still a rip off IMO

jeeeeeze 350$ for fork seals????theres a harley guy up the road that will do it for me for 50$ if i buy the parts...the last time i needed fork seals he walked me threw the whole thing so i ll do it my self next time,but man that shop is trying to hose you big time...nice work on the clutch cable repair and saving$$$!!!!$$$

Yeehaw $350 for fork seals? The local racing shop charges $100 to do seals and that includes the seals. Another local shop will rebuild the forks for your weight for $350...

Fork seals take 30 minutes once the forks are off the bike.

Good to know. Im guessing there's more to this though, lol. Are they pretty easy to get off the bike?

Good to know. Im guessing there's more to this though, lol. Are they pretty easy to get off the bike?

I did mine for the first time last summer. I have the shop manual, so I read it carefully, read articles here on TT, and most important I watched it several times on youtube! Youtube is actually a great reference. The first time I replaced the fork seals (along with bushings, springs, and oil) it took me about 2 hours. I took my sweet time. I have now done this procedure over 5 times (helped friends). Each time gets easier. I did, however, buy the Motion Pro fork seal driver...paid for itself. :thumbsup:

Yeah you have to have a tool to do the fork seals. I went to the local hardware store and bought a 1.5"x3" pvc pipe I believe it was, whatever size corresponds to your fork tubes. I then stuck it in a vice, and sawed it in half. Then I took a file and filed out the ridge that was in the middle of it. Only costs $3 and took 30 minutes.

where @ in idaho are u? and what shop is charging that much to do fork seals? that shop sounds like a rip off to me. most shops around boise charge $90-$100 to do both.