Sign in to follow this  

Stock Exhaust mod?

P1050037-1-1.jpg

P1050036.jpg

Hi Everyone.

Just after some advice on modding my stock exhaust. I've searched and searched for information on a stock UK exhaust and if I can make it a bit louder (the stock sound is a bit of an embarrassment!) but can't find any info. I've seen the posts on using a hole saw etc but they all seem to relate to the US version where you can remove the end cap. On my exhaust, as you can see, it is all welded. I'm not interested in extra power etc and I can't afford to buy a new exhaust system. I'd just like some kind of exhaust note from my baby!!!

Any help much appreciated as usual.

Thanks

if you have a hole saw there is no reason you can not drill out the end cap of your pipe. find a drill a tad larger in diameter and go for it. it wont yield any power but there horrible sound will soon sound less lawn mower like

This is my bike a couple of years ago with the end cap removed. Of course mine just unbolted. Didn't sound too bad.

Thanks for the replies. When you say 'End Cap' are we talking about the little pipe that sticks out or the whole diameter? Just need to know if I'm supposed to go a bit bigger than the 'little pipe' or a lot bigger and go nearer to the edge. When I put my finger into the pipe it feels like that small diameter goes quite a bit further into the main exhaust.

Thanks again

limb - The inside looks much like the outside. That is the pipe you see extends into the muffler chamber. The mod you might want to try is to cut the the pipe out of the end so you have and open hole 1" to 1 1/4" diameter. Then weld in a piece of pipe about 3" long so it looks stock just will a bigger outlet pipe. Any increase in the outlet pipe diameter will result in increased sound level.

Thanks for that Noble. I'm afraid I'm not that proficient with a welder and also don't have access to one!! Trying for a quick easy fix (is there such a thing in life!) and a clue about what to do.

Keep the ideas coming!!

Thanks

Or look on eBay to try and find a cheap billet end cap. Then drill out your end cap to about twice the diameter it is now. It will look stock and sound better

Feel free to donate to the "Help buy Limb a new exhaust" fund lol!! Joking aside....I would love to have a slip-on but everything that comes up on ebay is still £150 plus and also not close to road legal! I've spent my last bit of money on some secondhand Excel Rims and gone from S to SM. Just had our second child and times are tight so hence the 'budget' post!!

Feel free to donate to the "Help buy Limb a new exhaust" fund lol!! Joking aside....I would love to have a slip-on but everything that comes up on ebay is still £150 plus and also not close to road legal! I've spent my last bit of money on some secondhand Excel Rims and gone from S to SM. Just had our second child and times are tight so hence the 'budget' post!!

Sell the kid! I mean, you've got two of them!

For Sale: 11 week old baby.....will part exchange for a full Yoshi system!!!

So it sounds like my problem is that it's the little pipe that the noise comes from and unless I make that pipe bigger I don't get an increase in noise...Correct?? So if I use a bigger hole saw than the 'little pipe' and make a larger hole around it then cut off the 'little pipe', that won't make any difference in noise...Correct??

Somebody please!!!! ;-)

No if you cut the "little pipe" using a larger hole saw you WILl get more noise.