Sign in to follow this  

klx300r add a DS kit?

There is some rumblings of the klx250s having power issues, or suspension is lacking etc...

Some guys will go to a 300 'big bore' kit for more power, and rejet. I'm not sure of the total cost of that, if done yourself. Anyone know roughly?

I did search the forum for folks who have Dual Sported their klx300r...

And that struck me as a good option, for the price of adding a DS kit

6'2" 200lb. The 300 is slightly taller than the 250. The 300 provides more hp. If my online search is correct 47hp vs. 33hp

weight of a 300 fueled and ready to ride at 252? and a klx250s at 282 ?

So.... if you do not ride your dual sport more than 10 - 15 miles on the street (in order to get to work or to ride to an off road trail) then why not throw

a BAJA KIT on a klx300r. Our local shop will (if you buy the kit and install it yourself) do the paperwork on changing the title, inspect it and correct any flaws you may have made on your installation. They say that it would run you about $750-800. (Pa.)

So, if we are talking used bikes. 2004 to 2007 say... you get a more powerfull bike, that is lighter. Probably a little more nimble on tight trails. That is..... if the bike is meant to be more offroad than onroad.

Trailer the bike to a Dual Sport event, and be able to make even the most challenging loops.

ok, now shoot holes in my idea. Dual Sports are hard to come by in my area.

I'll even throw this in.... drz400's are too heavy. Wr250r is too $$

6'2" 200lb. The 300 is slightly taller than the 250. The 300 provides more hp. If my online search is correct 47hp vs. 33hp

Those power figures are WAY too high. More like 27hp for a lightly modified 300. The 250 would be proportionately lower.

why not throw a BAJA KIT on a klx300r. Our local shop will (if you buy the kit and install it yourself) do the paperwork on changing the title, inspect it and correct any flaws you may have made on your installation. They say that it would run you about $750-800. (Pa.)

Will PA. allow you to change the bike to a dual sport? Here in Calif. we can't do it. Will the Baja Kit meet all of the requirements for dual registration?

With either bike, the stock fork springs will need to be replaced for your weight. The shock spring may be ok, depending on your riding.

Ride on

Brewster

yes, in Pa. we can get a Baja kit that will meet all specs. With the TRailtech speed/odmometer added.

I was just at a shop that has one done and ready to go. That was the important thing, seeing with your own eyes rather than just guessing.

Thanks for the tip on suspension, I was looking for input.

And I should have added that with most dual sport conversions I would have the cost of adding DOT tires to a klx300, whereas the klx250s is dot ready.

HP figures are always suspect, but I think the 300 has its merits in that category. Yet maintain light weight.

(I have now seen 3 bikes that came out of this shop that got titled and licensed ok, one was an older 2 stroke RM!) And of all things, this shop is a place that builds custom choppers. But they know the laws and regs and everyone uses them. You can go to the DMV with confidence.

Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

The KLX250 has electric start; I don't know about the 300. The starter and batter adds weight, but I like the magic button.

A 300 kit for a 250 is around $455, but why not just go to a 351 for $530? http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/page_4.html. Many guys say the 351 is the best mod out there for the money. I plan on doing a big jug after this summer. DynoJet kit is around $60.

I have a 250, jetted, aftermarket muffler, etc and notice some difference in power between my bike and a buddy's KLX300 that has also been jetted. But the difference isn't overwhelming. I re-sprung the rear with RaceTech spring (the one for the KLX300) which raised the rear a little because the spring is taller and stiffer, plus a tall seat, which at 6'1" made a nice difference. I don't think his KLX300 has a fan on the radiator (will you ever be stuck in traffic overheating?).

I have an '07 KLX250S that I use mostly off-road. I've done the jetting, added a full FMF powerbomb exhaust, and a Twin-air filter with a drilled out airbox lid. These mods made a significant difference in the power and snappiness of the bike, I also put on full knobby tires, Clarke gas tank, skid-plate, barkbusters and Tusk handlebars. These mods made the bike into a worthy trail rider, and it's pretty fun out at the Oregon dunes too. I'd like to do a 351 kit, but it's not the right time for me to be dropping that kind of coin on bike mods right now, so I'll get some more miles out of the 250 barrel for now. I weigh about 160, so suspension is not a big issue for me, but anyone heavier would want to upgrade the fork springs as they're pretty soft, even for someone of my weight.

Since it sounds like you'll mostly be off-road and your state allows the 300 to be registered, you don't care about electric starting, I'd probably agree that the 300 is the way to go since it's lighter, starts out with somewhat more power, and is also geared for off-road. As for tires, the 250's OEM tires aren't too great off-road unless you're just riding dry dirt and gravel. You'd need to pick up a set of decent DOT knobbies like the Kenda Trakmaster II's. We can't register the 300 for road use here in Oregon, so the 250 was it for me, plus I dig the E-start.

BTW, I agree your horsepower numbers are high by quite a bit. I think the bone stock 250 is somewhere around 20 HP.

You asked about cost:

Full FMF exhaust: around $550

Rejet: $40

Air filter: $30

If I were your size, I wouldn't rule out the DRZ400, and also, have you considered DSing an XR400? My buddy had one, and it was a great bike.

Well...it played out this week with me purchasing a 07 klx250s. $2600

The owner had already put on the new header/exhaust, rejet kit, and skid plate. New stiffer fork springs. He had just removed the lid off the airbox and is using a unifilter. Barkbusters, shifter kit etc...

First bike I ever had with a magic button.

His changes were all the things that are suggested in these forums. And he had every origional part bagged and tagged should I ever want them. I ride in some really wet places and I put the lid back on the airbox. I too, opened up some air flow and drilled out the lid and have some open cell foam over the holes. It works well on my XR that way.

Probably the only thing I have to do is to play with the rear suspension sag(?). With weight on the seat, it's not as tall as I though it would be. I may try a raising link even though it only buys about 7/8 in.

After I bought it and loaded it, I commented on all the upgrades. And he said he had about a $1000 in it, but wanted a Husky and it had to go.

I tried a drz400 and felt the weight (for me) was an issue where I ride. My friend who has one admits he avoids the toughest trails on his. The only xr400 I had available was priced too high. But I considered both.

I can always ride for this year. Do two Dual Sport events and see if this is for me. I'll always be keeping in mind that the klx300 baja conversion as an option.

...a magic button for me. Who'd of thunk.

Well right on! You're bike is very similar to mine, and I have to say I do love my bike. I can hit up some pretty gnarly trails or ride the dunes on the weekends, air up the tires sunday night, and ride it to work monday morning. You got a great deal too, and when you are ready for some more power, you can drop in the 351 kit.

Skip the kit and do it yourself...

He bought a 250S, no kit required.

Well...it played out this week with me purchasing a 07 klx250s. $2600