Fork/tree mounted lights

I'm looking for some 35W HID lights that can be clamped onto the forks or bolted onto the top triple tree fork mounts, anybody know where I can get a pair of them? Preferably nothing super expensive, I'd rather not spend $200 just for one light. A cheap housing for a standard bulb could also work.

I'd also like for them to be small, as in not a giant 6" round baja style offroad light.

I'm trying to built a light (no pun intended... :thumbsup: ) dune bike.

My buddy had a pair of those on his DRZ. Great for the roads, but offroading they sucked, you couldn't really see far enough ahead especially moving at speed. I was more looking for 35W HID spotlights, something long distance. Also those are expensive for what they put out.

This is what I was kind of looking for, but want something I can put 35W HID's in. Also not sure if I really want to spend $300 for them.. :thumbsup:

Stop by your local auto parts store. They usually carry a stock of that sort of stuff marketed towards the riceburners. 12V is 12V, whether it comes from a car, sled, or bike motor...

I know you're looking for cheap, but durability's another thing to keep in mind... LED's are about as tough as they come, but they come at a price. The big dualsport/adventure bike retailers (touratech comes to mind) carries this sort of thing for those bikes.

I dont know if you need a light on the bike or not, but the trailtech scmr16s in the spot setup are awesome helmet lights, They send alot of light pretty far.

Okay, here's a different question.

How hard would it be to convert a Kawasaki AC lighting coil to DC? Is it as simple as plugging in a bridge rectifier?

I need to convert it to DC power so that I can charge a battery, 12V 4AH, to run the HID's.

Okay, here's a different question.

How hard would it be to convert a Kawasaki AC lighting coil to DC? Is it as simple as plugging in a bridge rectifier?

I need to convert it to DC power so that I can charge a battery, 12V 4AH, to run the HID's.

Probably want a voltage regulator on it.

Not sure how that bike's configured, but on the KTM there's a portion of the stator (25w iirc) that goes to the tiny voltage regulator to charge the battery, then the rest (75w or so) that's AC from the factory for headlights. Problem with this is your headlights dim when the bike's RPM's aren't high enough to support the load.

So I floated the ground between the two, moving all 100w to the DC side. Obviously had to upgrade the voltage regulator, but now the battery runs the headlights, and the upgraded voltage regulator has no problems charging the battery and running everything I have on it.

VR's a trailtech 150 watt... availble through TT store. Crimp on your own connectors and plug it in.

^Here is how the bike is wired up currently:

aclighting.jpg

And here is how I want to wire it up:

dcbatterylighting.jpg

I neglected to draw in the ground for the regulator, but it's grounded onto the frame.

I spoke with Ricky Stator about the lighting, and apparently they said 2 lights would be the best, it doesn't have the ability to run 3 lights. Right now I'm just looking to get some serious lighting going, I have found a sweet light kit for $25 for 35W, or 55W for $33:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

Would it be better to run 2, 35W HID's or one 55W HID?