'07 XR650L Fuel Injection Project

After pouring over a few other EFI conversion threads here on TT, I decided to take the plunge too, and convert my XR650L.

I'll start off by saying thanks for all the great inspiration and ideas I gleaned from the threads of CaptainMidnight, mx_rob and msiddalingaiah.

Some of the components will look familiar ?

TB: TL1000

1176940282_MBiSD-L.jpg

FuelPump: LTR450

i-mfSq6mr-L.jpg

Last year I added a LM-2 Wideband O2 Sensor to the bike (knowing that it would be a step towards an FI system later). It captured and extrapolated some interesting A/F ratio data over the RPM range, but for it to be useful I needed to make the data more relative. I then added MAP, IAT and Engine temperature sensors.

LM-2 Wideband O2 Sensor:

1040485449_B7vFW-L.jpg

IAT Sensor:

i-qmR2Gph-L.jpg

Engine Temp Sensor:

i-QHVKXww-L.jpg

The temp sensors were both junkyard finds, I gathered a few different types of GM sensors and pigtails pretty cheap.

Later, I tested all the temp sensors from ice to boiling on the stove with a thermometer.

They all matched the GM resistance chart given in the Megasquirt documentation, so I was pretty happy to have some options and spares.

Edited by uberhada
Adding details and more photos

Cool! I look forward to this project and do us a favor and try to do a build cost, more then once I have read people asking "how much to do fuel injection?" and I was wondering also, unfortunately right after I spent $580 on a pumper carb (and more for jets) I remembered and thought "well, how much would it have cost to do fuel injection?" that would have been the smarter way to go...especially since jetting my new carb is turning out to be quite a chore.

so far It looks like you are on the right track for doing it very cost effective.

What ECU do you think you'll end up using?

unfortunately right after I spent $580 on a pumper carb (and more for jets) I remembered and thought "well, how much would it have cost to do fuel injection?" that would have been the smarter way to go...especially since jetting my new carb is turning out to be quite a chore.

Prepare for an unpleasant surprise because building an EFI system and a good tune from scratch won't be any less of a chore. ? The tradeoff (or payback?) is that the results will be better.

• Like 1

Prepare for an unpleasant surprise because building an EFI system and a good tune from scratch won't be any less of a chore. ? The tradeoff (or payback?) is that the results will be better.

I don't think I could have said that any better :confused:

Going with the Microsquirt ECU. There seems to be a large community for it and lots of support.

Microsquirt ECU:

i-qW5pKCf-L.jpg

There is a lot of community support indeed, plus the MS2-Extra code for added fun. :confused:?

I have an "old" MS-I v2.2 system that is losing support in lieu of the MS2-based systems like yours. I'm not sure Freescale even offers the DIP-40 package MC68HC908 processor any more.

I have been running with a GM MAP Sensor while collecting data on the LM-2. I ran it with a mechanical dampener (vacuum can) and got good data out of it. Though without a throttle position sensor on the carb (I was going to add one) the data didn't mean as much/ wasn't very relative.

So, I disconnected the vacuum line from the carb and let it hang. Then I used it to get elevation, which it did great.

When I got home from some of the DS rides I logged, I could recognize elevation changes in the data and relate them to physical locations.

Even check them against my GPS tracks from the day. ? <-(that's the nerdiest icon I could find here)

GM 1 Bar MAP Sensor:

i-rVFtrwW-L.jpg

This sensor was an EBay fluke that was brand new and ridiculously cheap, otherwise I would have picked one up at the junkyard.

Here are a few temperature sensors I pulled one afternoon at the local junkyard. I got extras in case one was bad and for more mounting options.

They all turned out to be good ?

GM Temperature Sensors:

i-d2GmxD9-L.jpg

There's another brass sensor but it's the one you see mounted on the jug fins.

I pulled the AIT sensor I am using for the comparison photo. (#4 Far Right)

I had heard reports of the caged elements breaking off from vibration and people epoxying the elements in place to secure them.

The solid plastic sensor seemed to be a better solution, same temperature/resistance curve and sensitivity.

I have an "old" MS-I v2.2 system that is losing support in lieu of the MS2-based systems like yours. I'm not sure Freescale even offers the DIP-40 package MC68HC908 processor any more.

A bit over my head with that, please stick around the thread for when I get stuck ?

I've been trying to keep the harness clean, it's worth it to me to take a little extra care here.

I'm hoping to make this a sort of 'plug and play' setup, so I can install and remove things easily/quickly.

So, moving forward I picked up some connectors and relays etc.

Harness for Injectors & TPS, relays, additional WP connectors:

i-G8TBjbM-L.jpg

I've been setting up one of my old workstations in the garage, so I can do the programming out there.

I am considering getting a netbook to carry around though, lots of other uses for that.

Still need a few bits for plumbing the lines and a filter.

• 1 month later...

Before cleaning up the harness and fuel lines I wanted to get the bike running to make sure it all worked.

So, with just a few base settings in the software I was able to fire it up today ? -

th_MVI_5239.jpg

It was running really rich, so I was surprised when it began to idle. The exhaust note has changed a little too.

It will take a lot of tuning before I can take it out for a ride, but I wanted to post up a little progress on the project.