2000 "E" jetting help...

I hate to post another thread like this, but I'm stuck now.

Here's some info. 2000 E on SM wheels with full muzzy, Eddie AP mod, removed CE, and a K&N on it's way.

Jet kit was installed a couple of years ago and it's been running really good. 165 main and blue needle 4th position. Fuel screw turned out about 2.5 turns.

The other day I removed my air filter door and rode around. Throttle response and low/mid RPM pull was increased (part throttle).

I was told that means I'm running too rich. So, I dropped to a 162 main and went for a ride. I did several 2nd-3rd gear WOT pulls up a hill and it pulls great. But so did the 165, so I don't know.

Then I removed the door and did the same thing. Once again, the low/mid RPM improved. Now, this is not WOT low/mid. This is part throttle.

So, after some reading, I decided to try changing from the 4th clip to the 3rd. Now I have a miss if I slam the throttle open at low/mid RPM.

1st gear, for example, 4500 RPM, maintaining speed, then open the throttle, like I would do to loft the front end, or power wheelie. Now, it misses, then goes.

I'm assuming now I'm too lean. I removed the door and noticed no difference.

So..........now what? I'm assuming back to the 4th clip, but what about the red needle?

I am at 1200 ft and my riding is mostly from 1200 to about 2000ft. Sometimes, rarely, I'll be higher than 2000ft.

Any ideas? My K&N should be here tomorrow, so I think I'm going to at least go back to the 4th clip (unless told otherwise) and then jet with the new filter on. I really don't like pulling the carb :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Steve

so your concern is when the throttle is wide open or not?

so your concern is when the throttle is wide open or not?

I don't know, all I know is when I changed clip positions, when I open the throttle, it misses.

I believe it's the part throttle jetting that's the problem.

For example, 3rd gear, holding 4500 RPM, I open the throttle quickly, it now misses, more like a cough, then pulls hard to the limiter.

OK, so here's another question. If it runs great with a 162 main, 4th clip, and an open air box, what's wrong with drilling some holes in the side cover?

I know most of you aren't going to like this idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Steve

you can either do the holes or lean the main jet. put the needle back where it was.

you can either do the holes or lean the main jet. put the needle back where it was.

I'll lean the main jet.

Thank you.

Steve

What kind of air filter are you running and is it in tip top shape,a good clean well kept air filter is paramount when it comes to performance.

What is the temperature outside when you do your tests?

I also have a 2000 E, I run a 160 mj. EMN needle. I notice a difference when I ride in the morning compared to the evening. There is about a 30 degree difference. Runs krisper in the morning.

Is the carb 11 years old?

Foam filter, and its clean. I have a K&N on its way though. I'll just wait for it to get here, then go from there

What is the temperature outside when you do your tests?

I also have a 2000 E, I run a 160 mj. EMN needle. I notice a difference when I ride in the morning compared to the evening. There is about a 30 degree difference. Runs krisper in the morning.

Is the carb 11 years old?

It was in the 70's. It is original, but like I said it runs great. I just noticed it ran better with the cover removed. I am trying to make it run that way all the time. Maybe I will drop to a 160 mj and see what happens.

Thanks,

Steve

I think I may have found a problem. Today I decided to put the needle clip back to the 4th position. As I was putting the throttle cables back on, I was opening and closing the throttle to check for adjustment. I noticed fuel was seeping out from around the AP actuator (plunger, rod, not sure what to call it).

I'm going to ride it to the gym and see how it is. What seal would be bad to cause this? The AP diaphragm?

Steve

Correct the AP diaphram.

It's funny, after riding yesterday around town, it was bone dry. But with the engine off, large throttle movements will cause it to leak fuel.

Either way, should I stick with stock? Or is there a different one I should replace it with?

I have done the Eddie mod, so the rivet has been ground down.

Thanks,

Steve