Sign in to follow this  

Help with clutch springs

Hi guys, since 2005 I had one 2005 450X and a2006 250X. Right now I bought my second 250X, a new 2011 one. As I am a "little" heavy - 250 lbs - my clutch resents and with my old 250X I had to swap all the clutck disks and springs twice.

Right now with my new 250X and only with 100 miles I notice that when I reach some technical points and had to use the clutch lever for minute or two, the clutch cable gets loose and I had to tune it 2 or 3 clics...

I think that it's not a good symptom and before I burn my clutch disks I am thinking in swap the clutch springs with a stronger one.

What do you suggest?

Are the 250R heavy than the 250X ones? Can I swap them?

Any advice? I am asking for Honda parts, because as I live in Portugal, it's difficult to get here some aftermark springs and with the Honda parts there is no problem at all :thumbsup:

Best regards

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I hnow that I can do that, but I think it's a quick solution for a few rides, not a solution for long time, so I'll try to find some clutch springs from another Honda model, that could work better in the 250X.

Anyone has any experience in this matter?

Thanks.

i dont see why the added washers would be a short term fix...i would think that would last as long as your clutch

the washers wouldn't wear out....

but if you're really stuck on springs, try barnett [or hinson?] I believe they have stiffer springs.

Hi, thanks for all your answers. In fact I was looking for a new and harder spring kit, but as I don't know which one will fit my 250X, I'll try to add washers.

Regards.

like mgentz said; if you really want to buy new springs try the barnett or hinson. they're slightly stiffer and last a long time. personally i'd just wait until it was time to do a whole clutch pack and the springs are more than likely out of spec anyway. they usually come in the kit anyway.

I would recommend changing out your clutch disks, steels, and springs to an R set that eliminates the judder spring.

The stock X clutch uses a judder sping on the inner disk to make the clutch smoother to engage. It works well but seems to be a weak point with a lot of clutch use.

If you are only swaping to heavier clutch spings you may not get any benefit form them due to the judder sping will counder act the increased spring pressure. Giving you the same problem you started with.

PS. pro circuit makes heavy duty springs for stock clutch sets.

I would recommend changing out your clutch disks, steels, and springs to an R set that eliminates the judder spring.

Yes, but it's all a matter of changing the friction disks, the metal disks and the springs? Nothing more?

And I must take off the judder spring and also the other metal ring (the judder spring seat)?

You know, I looked to the parts of the (08/09) 250R clutch and it has the same judder spring and the other, the seat too... look here:

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=742446&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2008&fveh=20225

Are you shure that I can use the "R" plates witout those 2 judder parts?

Thanks.

like mgentz said; if you really want to buy new springs try the barnett or hinson. they're slightly stiffer and last a long time. personally i'd just wait until it was time to do a whole clutch pack and the springs are more than likely out of spec anyway. they usually come in the kit anyway.

Hi, thanks for your input, but the problem is that the bike is new, the clutch is new too (maybe 200 km) and whenever I need to use the clutch in technical trails, rocks, and so, and use for maybe one minut it stays soft and gets 2 or 3 clicks of freeplay, so I had to adjust it.

If I do it 2 or 3 times a ride, I think I must het a new clutch very soon, and it's expensive all those disks, springs...

I try to get some Honda heavier springs because as I said, it's very difficult here in Portugal to get other aftermark springs and if I buy it from the USA, the shipping and also the taxes are big, very big...

Yes, but it's all a matter of changing the friction disks, the metal disks and the springs? Nothing more?

And I must take off the judder spring and also the other metal ring (the judder spring seat)?

You know, I looked to the parts of the (08/09) 250R clutch and it has the same judder spring and the other, the seat too... look here:

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=742446&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2008&fveh=20225

Are you shure that I can use the "R" plates witout those 2 judder parts?

Thanks.

Just reread your post and being that yours is an 2011 x model im not 100% sure.

I know for sure that honda did not change the x clutch all the way up to 08. I think its unlikely they changed anything up to 2011 just from their history of not making any changes to the x model.

The r model clutch without the judder spring (04-06) will drop right into th x basket with no problems up to 06. Pretty sure 07 and 08 too. (havent done it yet)

Clutch sets that use judder springs do not always react as expected to heavier springs or shimed springs. Getting the right size washer may be harder than you think once you look at the springs and bolt washers used.

You could always buy one normal clutch disk and steel to replace the judder set and see what happens.

Hi SHOVLE65, next time I have to open the clutch, I'll try to swap the judder set with one clutch disk and a steel one and put some washers on the springs and see what happens.

Thanks guys for all your inputs :smirk: