Cracked rear Rim

How serious is this? I'd like to keep using it for as long as I can if the rim will stay together. Everyone's on a budget these days.

crackedrim.jpg

PRETTY BAD I'd get a new rim laced ASAP, I lace rims and can get you a silver one for $85... Just saying

Hmmm. Obviously you are taking a chance... if your hitting jumps, I wouldn't use it. Casual trail riding might allow it to go for longer but I still wouldn't feel comfortable using any cracked rim no matter how slight it is (but I hear ya with the budget these days!).

Trails only, but I wouldn't use the word casual, still have to jump lots of waterbars, lots of rocks etc

The rim is broken, damaged, and dead.

Use at your own risk. Pay your own medical bills and extra damaged parts like hub, chain , sprockets. Cracked parts are a warning that something will go bad really soon. You rode hard enough to crack it, it is foolish to use it again.

My buddy's yz450 front rim looks like that, he's been riding like that for about 1 yr and the crack seems no worse. His cracked on an existing dent . He mostly rides woods,is a fast guy and several of his friends have warned him of the dangers but he wont listen. As far as your bike goes ,I wouldnt ride on it but I know someone that would.

Mine looks like that,Take it easy and just make sure all the spokes are tight evenly. But if some spokes are seized and can't be tightened ,,i wouldn't trust it.

I used to have an old IT 250 with a break all the way across,actually trail rode it for a while before welding it up.

Is it worth the risk? Not for me.

Mine looks like that,Take it easy and just make sure all the spokes are tight evenly. But if some spokes are seized and can't be tightened ,,i wouldn't trust it.

I used to have an old IT 250 with a break all the way across,actually trail rode it for a while before welding it up.

Funny you should say that. I do have a couple seized spokes on that rim, and have had to use vice grips on some of the others.

Funny you should say that. I do have a couple seized spokes on that rim, and have had to use vice grips on some of the others.

Yeck..it's time to rebuild the whole wheel. Prolonged uneven spokes can also destroy the hub.

If you're on a budget, consider yourself lucky that you noticed the wheel damage and spoke issues before your hub starts getting torn up.

Lace up a new rim and replace the bad spokes/nipples. Hubs are expensive.

Not worth the risk of getting hurt. Do your self a favor and lace up a new rim.

I don't know if you can get them in the US > Murelli I had them on my old RM125.

its no worse the a small crack in a piston skirt or drive chain. if you have to ask........

alright, alright, didnt expect such a strong response! whos got the best price on a 19" excel rim?

looks like I can get a good complete wheel on ebay for about $200

Beats casts and crutches......

haha. 1.85 or 2.15? which is better so I can run 110s....OTOH this would be a good time to switch to an 18 so I can run a trials tire...

haha. 1.85 or 2.15? which is better so I can run 110s....OTOH this would be a good time to switch to an 18 so I can run a trials tire...

The wider rim. 1.85 is at the small side. Better slightly wide than slightly narrow. Easier to change the tire as well. Yes, now would be a good time to decide if you would rather have a 18 vs the 19. Play/woods bike: 18. Better (wider) selection of tires and uses.

You could weld the rim as a tempory short term fix, but in the long run you will need a new rim. If you go 18'' you will need new spokes also.

welding aluminum rims dosn't work, even short term that would likely just make it crack completely first ride from the reheating process...I'm an aluminum welder. even on a budget a new rim isn't that bad i just sold a complete stock rear rim for $80 im sure you could find one on ebay, dude it's really not worth riding on in my opinion.