YZ250 frames that interchange

I recently bought a 01 yz250 that needs the motor rebuilt and after I brought it home I tried to put the motor in the frame and the bottom rails seen really twisted and out of whack!:thumbsup: I would rather just buy a used frame instead of fixing this one. Does anyone know which years would interchange with the 01 yz250 frame?

Thanks! Im new to the yamaha world. :thumbsup: Ive only owned hondas. Still got the 00 cr250 just want to try something different. I just wasnt sure if they changed any of the mounting points on 96-01 yz250 frames.

I think just 99-01 will be a direct bolt on, 06-08 had a different engine.

I sure someone else will chime in but I have heard the swingarm bolt is different from 02 up.

Ben

The 02 frame is entirely different, so the new swingarm bolt size will not matter, unless op decides to change his entire chassis to 02.

The 02 frame is entirely different, so the new swingarm bolt size will not matter, unless op decides to change his entire chassis to 02.

02-04 frame has a larger diameter swingarm pivot bolt but the collars on the 01 cases can be machined to a larger size for the 02-04 frame. However the only chasis parts that would convert over from the 01 would be the triple clamps, forks, shock, and wheels.

Curious jeffro667 whats the difference between the 96-98 frame versus the 99-01. I know 99 was a new engine but were the mounts different or somthing?

I think the shape of the lower cradle is a little different. I guess it's possible that the mounts are in the same location, but I doubt it.

I would guess the 01 style frame would handle better than the older one.

I thoguht the 96-01 frames used the same mounts... only differece was the angle of the cylinder. Subframes were improved though, so keep yours.

Im just looking for a direct bolt on. I dont plan on getting a 02+ frame. I looked up the part numbers and they are really close. I called up to the local Yamaha dealer and they just told me they didnt know. Alot of help they were :thumbsup:

Im pretty sure 96-01 are similar but in my opinion the newer of those years would be better. The less rust the better.

Edited by KJK_JR

Though the frames look very similar from 1996 to 2001, there were many small detailed changes.

The upper chain roller was moved from the subframe to the main frame in '97, and the front engine mount bolt went from 8mm to 10mm.

I think RCannon said the head angle was steepened up 1/2 degree in 1998.

Different gusseting as well.

1998 also brought different rear suspension linkage geometry including a new swingarm. Mixing a '98 & up rear suspension with an '96-7 frame may cause handling headaches.

So while your motor may fit, those are a few reasons to not choose an older frame.

The fewest changes probably took place between '99 and '01, but the bottom line is that the frames received improvements over the years, so the later the frame, the better the frame. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd be looking for a late model 250F rolling chasis....otherwise a 250 aluminum frame.

• Like 1

I have the whole bike. Im not looking to make any big changes. Im just looking for a bolt on and go pretty much

Are these Yz250 frames identical ? 

JYA3SPW08LA012351

JYA3XKW08MA009250

I think they are 1991 & 1992

I'm trying to do a complete switch. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Edited by kidyz
Auto correct

The '91 frame (p/n 3XK-21110-00-UJ) is different from the '92 frame (p/n 4DA-21110-01-UJ), but the engine cases (p/n 2VM-15111-06-00) were identical between those years, so an engine and/or frame swap should be a straight bolt-on job.

The VIN numbers you posted came up a little odd...

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/JYA3XKW08MA009250

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/JYA3SPW08LA012351

Good luck, and keep us posted with what you find. :thumbsup:

If it were me, I'd be looking for a late model 250F rolling chasis....otherwise a 250 aluminum frame.
Will the 99 fit on a 250f if so wht has to be done