back on two wheels again...

Been away too long! Life and work took me away from riding for a while but I recently picked up an '07 DRZ400SM (11,000mi) found here in Hawaii for $2500... Seems like a pretty good deal and the bike's in good shape. I'm going over it and taking care of the "must do's"...thanks to all for contributing all the accumulated knowledge!

I'm swapping the stock gearing to a 14/44 setup(the 15/41 felt like it had no first gear!), not much need for speed on this little island that I live on... hoping that's enough (no real serious hill climbing in my future and at 45 years old my motocross days are behind me). I've got the JD kit on its way with the 3x3 mod planned.

I kinda like the 17" wheels with the fat tires and hoping that they will be okay for the trail riding I will be doing... a little worried about the rims being so wide and seemingly vulnerable. The bike currently has IRC/Kenda GP1 enduro tires front and rear (4.6 front and 5.1 rear), they are a bit worn and so far seem okay except in the slippery clay/mud we have here... in the dry and sandy conditions I was happy. I want to keep dirt tires on it as most of the riding will be offroad. Any advice? ?

I figured it would raise the engine speed approximately 1000rpm for any given speed. Also, the bike had a relatively new chain and I thought 15/41 to 14/44 was as much

as I could change without adding links...

Well the combination of the 3x3 mod/rejetting and the 14/44 made a noticeable change... power wheelies nicely ?

I'm thinking maybe a few more teeth on the rear wouldn't hurt, with the

14/44 it is still too easy to exceed the posted speed limit ?

with a good pipe, the 3x3/ jet kit do make all the difference in the world. i had my coverted S running 14/47 with mrd/ssw with 3x3 and i really liked it over stock.

were you able to run the stock chain with this set-up??

I was able to use the same chain with the 15/41 and 14/44. the adjuster is almost at the second notch from the front so I might be able to go with a 14/45 as well... I'm actually thinking I'd like to try a 48t rear but that will definitely require a longer chain (112 link).

If you're changing gearing on an SM that has the stock length 110 link chain and you want to go with a 14/47 you will need 112 link chain... Adding links is an option but putting new sprockets on a worn chain will accelerate the wear on your new sprockets, also some frown on adding a second master link because of the possibility of master link failing.