Need help with first bike.

Looking at buying my first bike and I need some help making a decision. I have looked at a DRZ 400e and I also have a 2004 KLX300r to look at. I am 39 years old, 185 pounds, 6 feet tall. I am interested in trail riding primarily. Am I looking at the right type of bikes?

Either one of those is a fine bike. Get the one that looks like it was maintained the best and comes from a good home and you will be happy.

Really cant go wrong with either bike. Just choose the one that has the best maintenance record.

What is your experience level? You are exactly my height and weight. It really depends on the type of trail riding you are doing, is it open trails or tight, rutted hilly single track? I might suggest a lighter bike for the latter. What is your budget?

What is your experience level? You are exactly my height and weight. It really depends on the type of trail riding you are doing, is it open trails or tight, rutted hilly single track? I might suggest a lighter bike for the latter. What is your budget?

I have zero experience. I plan on mostly open trails. Budget of around 2500-2800.

It also depends on your tolerance of maintenance. Many bikes, such as the 250Fs, can be high maintenance and expensive to work on. For what you are doing, the KLX would probably work fine. If it was me, I would probably buy a Honda XR400, they are bulletproof and a good beginner bike.

i also agree with the xr400 or even xr250. they are great bikes and low maintenance. im not much of a fan of the drz and dont have any experience with any klx bikes. good luck and be safe!