Sign in to follow this  

KDX parts starting to get scarce? Time to move on?

I have a 2004 KDX 200 that is reliable as a rock and quicker than it looks. But, I am starting to find that parts are getting very hard to find. For example, the only plastic I can find are radiator covers, and all of my plastics have 7 years of abuse and are totally roached. I have also bent my rear brake lever and it appears my only option is a horribly over priced stock lever.

Is it time to move on and use the bike as a backup/loaner bike? The bike hasn't been in production for 5 years, so I don't see the parts supply improving. But it is also a shame, as again the thing is reliable, easy to ride, and plenty of power for a skinny guy like me.

It isn't helping that other bikes in my area are going for $2k under MSRP at local shops.

Anyone else having these thoughts?

I don't know where you are looking for plastics but every piece is readily available for the '95-'06 KDX. Hell, I'm rebuilding an old '90 E series bike and you think parts are getting scarce? :thumbsup: Even with the parts getting tougher for my '90 I wouldn't even think of getting rid of it!

I doubt there were any aftermarket options 16 years ago, or 7 years ago or now as far as a rear brake lever. Buy a new or used OEM is your only choice. I have a Sunline for my 2005 KX250, and MSRP is around $135 I think, so it is not cheap.

You should be able to buy almost all OEM parts new from a dealer. Look on the Kawasaki site to see which are active and which are cancelled.

You can buy aftermarket shrouds from several places.

They sold a lot of the 1995+ models, so used parts will be around for a good while.

Anyone with a liquid-cooled KDX should be able to find almost all the parts they need to keep it going.

Thanks for the link. I was on the FRP site and looking in the UFO Plastic for Kawasaki section, not the UFO Fenders and then Kawasaki section.

Poorly organized, imho.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge guys.:thumbsup:

I have an '03, and granted I haven't look for many after market parts, but anything I looked for I found. Pipes, skid plates, reeds, etc., are all readily available. And any OEM part I've needed (I haven't needed many) were available also.

I agree with these guys, very easy to find aftermarket parts for.

The rear brake lever doesn't surprise me, for my YZ my choices are stock, or a $125-$180 Hammerhead brake pedal. So I've run a semi-straightened stocker for about 3 years now. :thumbsup:

I've been able to find just about everything for my kdx from TT and a few other online catalog suppliers (engine, fuel system, suspension, plastic, etc.). However, rear brake levers and kickstarters have all been oem-only for all our bikes and yes, their price is steep for every one.

i dont know what your talking about, i think the kdx is pretty dam well supported by the after market, and ive been able to get every oem piece ive ever needed.

I have a 95 and wish I could find the original shroud decals in that splash text for the KDX...

I know the link provided on justkdx takes you to mxsouth's page but the graphic isn't the same as the original red splash text... If anyone has any experience with ordering that particular set, I'd love to see what you got.

I have a 95 and wish I could find the original shroud decals in that splash text for the KDX...

I know the link provided on justkdx takes you to mxsouth's page but the graphic isn't the same as the original red splash text... If anyone has any experience with ordering that particular set, I'd love to see what you got.

I thought I would look on Ron Ayers to see if they show the OEM shroud decals. They sure do, but after I thought to check the Kawasaki parts diagrams, they are shown as "Canceled". :smirk:

I looked at each tank or radiator shroud for 1983 - 1998 KDX200.

1993 right shroud graphic is available.

1996 left and right are available in limited quantity.

1997 and 1998 both were available.

Any older than that and not mentioned directly above were ALL with a status of "Canceled".

1996 left and right are available in limited quantity.

1997 and 1998 both were available.

Any older than that and not mentioned directly above were ALL with a status of "Canceled".

Thanks for looking that up!

I figure it'll be the same through the other OEM parts suppliers I typically use (Honda East Toledo, Cheap Cycle Parts, etc..)

If someone has some, the transaction will go:

"Wait. Hold on. I think we have some collecting dust on a shelf in the far back. Let me go check." :smirk:

I was surprised to see all the decals mentioned were discontinued. I looked on the Kawasaki diagram for my 1994 KDX200, and the fuel tank, front fender, rear fender, side panels and radiator shrouds were all discontinued. Get lucky on eBay or buy aftermarket it seems.