WR250F new bike questions

Ok so I think I have narrowed my bike choice down to a 2009 WR250F. I originally was leaning towards a KTM because my last bike was a 2004 200 EXC. I am now going towards the WR because I plan to get the bike plated and do a little dual sporting which would be much easier on the WR. I also plan to ride a lot with my young son on his 50 which as many of you is slow stop and go riding.

My only concerns are in regards to the power when I get to go out and ride on my own. I have several friends who say it will be way underpowered and I will soon want more. I mainly ride trails in Western Washington and occassiongly go to Eastern Washington and ride in the sand. I am 5-09 and 215lbs. All of you WR250F owners please tell me what you think. I know you have to do the free mods and the dealer has already said they will do that as part of the set-up. By the way the bike is brand new and they are only asking $3999. I think that sounds like a great deal how about all of you.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I want to make an educated decision so I can buy one bike and like it for years to come.

Todd

I weigh more than you and the bike has no problem at all pulling the front end off the ground. I follow my son on his 50 and the WR is just as comfortable and controllable at the slower speeds as it is at higher speeds. You will not regret getting this bike. If, and I highly doubt it, you are not satisfied with the power then there are so many aftermarket products out there for the bike.

$4k sounds like an incredible price for a new bike. The WR is very versatile, from lugging it to flat out ripping it. I doubt you would have any buyers remorse - especially if you get it delivered with the free mods.

I paid $4600 for my brand new left-over '08, with the free mods done by the dealer (no charge) and felt like I got a very good deal. The bike rips! I weigh 190 and I love the suspension, on technical single track it soaks up anything you throw at it. You'll love the bike and the price is a steal.

Thanks for all the responses.

As far as the WR250F being plated, Wa State passed a new law SB5800 which becomes law on 01/01/12. It allows off road only bikes to get licenses for street if they meet certain requirements (Dual sport kit, horn, signals, tires etc) and pass an inspection by a dealer. So yes, right now the WR250F can't be plated in Wa state, but on 01/01/12 it along with any other off road bike certainly can......

As far as the free mods go, does anyone have an actual list of everything that needs to be done. I hear bits and pieces and know people always talk about this "grey wire", but I was wondering if there is a detailed list so I can make sure the dealer does what they should do and this things runs correctly.

Thanks again

I just got my first WR250 on Tuesday this week. (2009 with one ride on it for $3800)

Here's a list of the mods I know about so far : https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981688

I dropped a JD Kit in, did the gray wire mod, removed the AIS, changed the throttle stop to a YZ version and drilled out the stock can today. I still have to get a longer fuel screw and a Quick Shot and do the suspension.

It woke the bike up tremendously, and I'm pretty sure there is more useable power in it.

Now, I just have to find a different can, go to the 12 tooth CS and setup the suspenders, then I'll work on dialing it in

I have an 08 wr250f, and ride in both Western and Eastern Washington. Im 5'8" 170 lbs. I did the free mods, FMF Powercore, K&N filter, JD jetting kit and suspension. Underpowered, not at all! Its a fantastic bike.

the best thing you can do to wr is the exhaust. the come quiet, baffled and slow. try and get a second hand yzf pipe for it or buy after market. that will be the biggest single difference. get it jetted. the wr are slower than the yz buy by no means under powered

• 4 months later...

I just converted my 2009 WR250F to a dual sport (yes it can be done, at least in Missouri) and am a little disappointed in performance. I got rid of a KLR650 because it was too heavy and attempted to get one bike to do trails, light motocross, and some dual sport. Maybe too much for one bike. The 5 speed gearing is great for tails and motocross, but I'm revving high to get 50 mph while dual sporting.

Other than dual sport kit and exhaust small baffle removed, it's stock. I will try a 14t/47t sprocket combo but I can't see that giving it much more top speed.

I'm curious how all of you other WR250F owners are getting 65+ on stock gearing? Am very interested in knowing what you did (besides wearing ear plugs). I just want to get to the trails using county highways. 60mph max would be great if I could get it.

Thanks!

I just converted my 2009 WR250F to a dual sport (yes it can be done, at least in Missouri) and am a little disappointed in performance. I got rid of a KLR650 because it was too heavy and attempted to get one bike to do trails, light motocross, and some dual sport. Maybe too much for one bike. The 5 speed gearing is great for tails and motocross, but I'm revving high to get 50 mph while dual sporting.

Other than dual sport kit and exhaust small baffle removed, it's stock. I will try a 14t/47t sprocket combo but I can't see that giving it much more top speed.

I'm curious how all of you other WR250F owners are getting 65+ on stock gearing? Am very interested in knowing what you did (besides wearing ear plugs). I just want to get to the trails using county highways. 60mph max would be great if I could get it.

First, if you mean that your bike really is all stock except for the small muffler outlet that's the diameter of a pencil being removed, you're still riding a corked-up WR-250F that's down on performance.

I have a 2009 WR-250F that's ridden on weekends on the local state forest trail loop.

This requires a bike with a license plate to do legally, partly because there are streets connecting the trails together, and partly because the state simply wants all bikes in the state forest to be registered for street use.

I installed a Baja Designs dual sport kit (along with some other parts not included with the kit), brought the bike up to the DMV headquarters in this state, passed the inspection, and got the bike registered for street use.

I, too, found out the bike sucks as a street bike, mainly because the gearing is simply too low for anything other than cruising from one trail to the next a relatively short distance.

I was not surprised to find this out, at least, and I'm not disappointed since it's my dirt bike with a license plate, not my street bike with knobby tires.

If you want to hit higher speeds with less engine RPM, you'll have to use different sprockets that will give taller gearing.

The trade-off is that the taller gearing will be less good when riding off-road.

You'll probably have to settle on a compromise.

Basically, my opinion is that a 5-speed 250cc bike intended to be a great dirt bike ain't really gonna' cut it when you expect easy-feeling and comfy-sounding highway speed cruising.

Hey Todd, did you get the WR?

I have a 08 with the free mod's, JD jet kit, YZF muffler w/pro moto end cap and 1 tooth bigger rear sprocket. The bike has plenty of power. Love how it rides (even better with the scotts steering stab)

I to plan on plating mine just so I can connect trails without the "law" busting down on me..

If you haven't bought one yet, we can hook up and you can take mine for a spin and see if it fits your liking... ?