Sign in to follow this  

bike trailer question

hey guys

dude next door sold his 450 (booo!) and is getting rid of his trailer. It's a 4x8, no sides (utility kinda one). anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with that size trailer. I was wondering if i'd be able to fit 2 bikes on it, staggered a few inches so they could be closer rather then bar to bar. i'd have 2 wheel chokes on the trailed for the front wheels. I'm considering getting it off him, but I am a little hesitant whether a 4' wide can fit 2 bikes safely when tied down, seeing as the outer tie-downs would be almost vertical.

i've had 3 in a 5x8 pretty easily, one backwards, same with in pickup beds. but 4' has me iffy as to whether you can fit 2 on it and cant figure it out. so if anyone has any experience with it PLEASE let me know, i need to act fast!

Thanks!

james

My wifes truck is a Chevy Stepside and we can fit the 2 big bikes in fwd and the 65 in reverse.

Don't ask why..when...I have a dually, 16' box and 16' flatbed. Sometimes I just get lazy.

yes they will fit, i routinely put 3 bikes in my mini pickup.

Lets all sing now

LOW---RI---DER

Lets all sing now

LOW---RI---DER

i have 2 mini pickups actually, one is lifted 6/5" and the other is stock, but the s10 is getting lowered soon! its for autox, i dislike lowriders...

I frequently put 3 bikes on a 4x8 harbor freight trailer. I staggered the harbor freight mc wheel chocks and bolted a 6 foot 4x4 across the front with heavy duty galvanized eyelets that allow me to attach tie downs properly. Just keep the wheels greased and you'll be good to go. I've probably got 15,000 miles on my trailer with no real issues. I would recommend hard wiring the ground if you don't want intermittent light though.

Thanks, guys. you've reassured me! Now hopefully he hasn't sold it yet.. I haven't see him since yesterday D: I'll be mad if he sold it now that I know itll fit! hah

You knew it would fit.

You said you put 2 bikes in a pickup truck. Those beds are 48" across. Trailer could only be easier.

I'm tempted to get one of those little habor freight one. Good to read somebody has put many miles on one. I don't have far to go (30 minutes). It's not a heavy load (KX250 and KX65). Pulling with a V6 mini van will be alright.

Coo

You knew it would fit.

You said you put 2 bikes in a pickup truck. Those beds are 48" across. Trailer could only be easier.

I'm tempted to get one of those little habor freight one. Good to read somebody has put many miles on one. I don't have far to go (30 minutes). It's not a heavy load (KX250 and KX65). Pulling with a V6 mini van will be alright.

Coo

really? I thought most beds were larger then that across!

You knew it would fit.

Coo

i have put similar milage on mine, many times overloaded, only had to replace a tire once. and seriously, keep those wheels greased. my dad bent the frame a while ago, so we chucked it, but hey it lasted like 8 years or something, we beat the hell out of that trailer.

I frequently put 3 bikes on a 4x8 harbor freight trailer. I staggered the harbor freight mc wheel chocks and bolted a 6 foot 4x4 across the front with heavy duty galvanized eyelets that allow me to attach tie downs properly. Just keep the wheels greased and you'll be good to go. I've probably got 15,000 miles on my trailer with no real issues. I would recommend hard wiring the ground if you don't want intermittent light though.

I can fit 4 bikes on my 4x8 HF trailer, 3 across the bed (middle one in backwards) then instead of a 6 ft 4x4, I fastened a 7 ft 2x8 across the tongue snug against the front of the bed and this creates a platform for one bike to ride cross-ways.

The reason it's easy to fit 2/3 bikes in a 4x8 pick up bed is because you have the luxury of having the bed side anchors. If that trailer is exactly 4x8 with no frame work extending beyond those measurements then it might be difficult. You'll probobly want to weld in a 6' long or so cross member with eye hooks to hook the die downs to.

The reason it's easy to fit 2/3 bikes in a 4x8 pick up bed is because you have the luxury of having the bed side anchors. If that trailer is exactly 4x8 with no frame work extending beyond those measurements then it might be difficult. You'll probobly want to weld in a 6' long or so cross member with eye hooks to hook the die downs to.

that was what I was thinking. they'll 'fit', but the eyehooks would have to be a good 2" in or so from eh edge of the bed so it would be cramped. Left him a message today, hope its still for sale so I can get it! I thought about welding on an extension exactly as you mentioned, the width of the wheels, front and back