Rock Hard / Reed Hard ?

Supercross

Any award given by anyone ( even B Michaels ) is a great idea for the criteria stated at the beginning of season : which i believe was for the rider that has overcome major obstacles ( not stewart crashes lol ) etc etc......

So, as much as i like CR22.......is B Michaels kidding ? how about RV2 coming back from major injury and winning title ? , how bout Barcia winning with broken wrist ? , Hanny making it back to pro limelight ?, Kdub being an "oldman " and kicking butt ????????? ................all these things seem alot more deserving of that "award " than CR22 draining his own bank acct and kicking butt ......

I see your point. Lot of good choices out there. Reed didn't have a ride, tough season last year with injuries. A few crashes this year. But we got to admit, Reed charged hard and was always on the move to the top. I don't know how deep his pockets are, but still pretty impressive to fund, and race your own team.

My guess is that it was to be awarded to someone in the 450 class, and not the 250's. This elminated alot of possibilities, and narrowed the field down considerably. What amazes me is the amount of publicity Brett Michaels got for just a little cash outlay! Let's hope it does get bigger & bigger every year though. Our SX racers deserve way more than they get. Maniac

My guess is that it was to be awarded to someone in the 450 class, and not the 250's. This elminated alot of possibilities, and narrowed the field down considerably. What amazes me is the amount of publicity Brett Michaels got for just a little cash outlay! Let's hope it does get bigger & bigger every year though. Our SX racers deserve way more than they get. Maniac

^^^This :thumbsup:

My guess is that it was to be awarded to someone in the 450 class, and not the 250's. This elminated alot of possibilities, and narrowed the field down considerably. <b>What amazes me is the amount of publicity Brett Michaels got for just a little cash outlay!<\b> Let's hope it does get bigger & bigger every year though. Our SX racers deserve way more than they get. Maniac

That is because he is a celebrity and can draw attention to the sport.

V-Po won the title and the mainstream media never mentioned it. If Justin Bieber starting racing MX, everyone would know about it.

Greg

Somebody would take issue to anybody that Bret picked. That's just the nature of an award like that. Like the choice or not, you have to give Chad credit for going from wondering if he was going to be racing in 2011 to coming within 4 points of winning the championship.

LOL true. Reed had the look on his face that said "thanks, now I can grab that new pair of gloves I've been eyeing"

How much did Reed get for the award?

10K... lol like he needs it. Those newer teams in the 250 class that dont have much cash to pay riders dont need it at all... the aussy with the giant diamond earings needs the money really bad

It was definitely a cool gesture by Bret to give out an award out of his own pocket like that, but I think one of those guys struggling to get to the races each week would have been more appreciative.

10K... lol like he needs it. Those newer teams in the 250 class that dont have much cash to pay riders dont need it at all... the aussy with the giant diamond earings needs the money really bad

He has to pay to get those things cleaned and polished somehow no? lol

Edited by 2smoker4life
Somebody would take issue to anybody that Bret picked. That's just the nature of an award like that. Like the choice or not, you have to give Chad credit for going from wondering if he was going to be racing in 2011 to coming within 4 points of winning the championship.

I believe the award wasn't picked by Bret but voted on by fans (not sure where or how).

Reed is a determined champion. He's got some grit and some class to go along with it. Hat's off our friend from down under.

well done reedy

i saw the site where the votes took place. It was neck and neck between Stewart and Reed the whole way. Last I saw Stewart had the lead, but some last minute votes must've pushed Reed to the top....

Either that or the votes had SOME influence, but was not a 100% given and Brett made his own choice at the end.

None of the top guys need 10g's...or free trucks etc. etc.

Considering the short amount of time to get a team together Reedy did very well.

Anyone one of the guys battling this year could have qualified for it and deserved it. I'd be happy for any of them to have won it.

I see your point. Lot of good choices out there. Reed didn't have a ride, tough season last year with injuries. A few crashes this year. But we got to admit, Reed charged hard and was always on the move to the top. I don't know how deep his pockets are, but still pretty impressive to fund, and race your own team.

This was 2004

THE TOP FIVE AUSSIE ATHLETES--DEC. 16

Golfer Greg Norman remains Australia's highest-earning sportsman. Norman made an estimated $18 million this year, according to Business Review Weekly magazine. Amazingly, Norman only made $26,187 of that on the golf course. Most of the golfers money came from Great White Shark Enterprises, which has interests in golf course design, sportswear, wine, restaurants, residential estates, event management, turf, golf equipment and accessories. Norman has been at the top of the Aussie list since 1997 (and is joined by 18 other golfers in the top 50 list of Australian athletes)

According to Australian sources, motocross rider Chad Reed earned $6.5 million last year. It is the first time that an Australian motocrosser has made the list. It should be noted that these are Australian dollars not US--thus the figures are somewhat inflated.

THE TOP FIVE IN OZ

First--Golfer Greg Norman.......................$18 million

Second---Soccer player Harry Kewell ... $15 million.

Third-- Tennis player Lleyton Hewitt....... $13.7 million

Fourth--Motocrosser Chad Reed............$6.5 million

Fifth--Swimmer Ian Thorpe.....................$4.5 million

Guys there is no point in arguing over this award.

There were SO many guys that deserved this award I'm sure it was a real puzzle picking the most deserving candidate. All though CR22 does deserve it. Starting his own team and placing Second in the Points, after having a crappy Supercross last year and Outdoor season, pretty amazing.

Well said :thumbsup:

I couldn't decide all season and honestly couldn't see how anyone else could either.

If Windham had won at Vegas, I kinda would've liked to see him get it. His season was tough enough so to win the final round would have been enough for me.