Sign in to follow this  

Yz85 and Yz125 difference

hey

i have a yz85 and want to upgrade to either a yz125 or yz250. but ive done some research and have heard theres not much power difference with the 85 and 125.

and alot of people say the 125 teaches you how to ride, but i think an 85 does the same thing because both bikes have hardly no bottom power so you using the clutch alot on both bikes. i want to get a 125 but i dont want to regret it in 1 year and wishing i got the 250. and with the 250 the power will always be there, but im dont know if its to heavy for me and i wont be able to jump and handle it.

im 14 years old but i will be getting the bike at the end of this year so i will be 15, and im 60kg and 5'5 foot - will i be able to touch the ground on 125 or 250?

What kind of riding are you doing? I think i would go for the 250 because they really aren't that heavy and you may get tired of a 125.

125 (2 stroke) and 250 (4 stroke) are the same size, disregarding the weight. It depends on what you're normally riding. I'm on a KX 85 now, if I were you, I'd go onto a 250. Once you learn to handle and grow into it more, you'll love it. But!, as I read the comment above I ride at my local MX track and a really big farm, I'd go with the 125 (2 stroke).

Daniel at your current height, I think you should consider the KX100, Big Wheel 85s or the CRF150RB (19"/16" wheels). I think the 125s/250s with 21"/18" wheels are still too tall. Now if you grow 4 inches in a year, you may be ready for the full size bikes (my impression is that you have a be about a minimum of 5' 9" to be able to touch both feet on tip toes.)

I bought the KX100 for my daughter who is 5' 4" and she can touch the ground on her tiptoes.

Frankly I have been really impressed with the KX100. Very light weight and fast with decent low end torque. I didn't even realize that model was out there when I was originally looking for a CRF150RB for her and thought they were just too expensive and kind of stumbled across the KX100 for a much cheaper price. Wish I would have had one of those when I was a kid rather than my crappy '74 Yamaha DT100 enduro.

Anyhow...just something to consider. You're at that age and height where you are just in between and that is why they make the Big wheel 85s, the Big Wheel CRF150RB and the KX100.

Daniel at your current height, I think you should consider the KX100, Big Wheel 85s or the CRF150RB (19"/16" wheels). I think the 125s/250s with 21"/18" wheels are still too tall. Now if you grow 4 inches in a year, you may be ready for the full size bikes (my impression is that you have a be about a minimum of 5' 9" to be able to touch both feet on tip toes.)

I bought the KX100 for my daughter who is 5' 4" and she can touch the ground on her tiptoes.

Frankly I have been really impressed with the KX100. Very light weight and fast with decent low end torque. I didn't even realize that model was out there when I was originally looking for a CRF150RB for her and thought they were just too expensive and kind of stumbled across the KX100 for a much cheaper price. Wish I would have had one of those when I was a kid rather than my crappy '74 Yamaha DT100 enduro.

Anyhow...just something to consider. You're at that age and height where you are just in between and that is why they make the Big wheel 85s, the Big Wheel CRF150RB and the KX100.

i dont think my height will be a problem because i sat on a crf250r the other week and i was tipp toeing to touch the ground. and i defiently want to upgrade to a bigger bike and its either 125 or 250, because my dad said my next bike is the last one hes paying for, so i wont be able to afford a bike by my self for a while, and thats why im thinking 250 because it will give me that extra power that i will last me a long time. and it has alot more low end power compare to the 85s, 100s, and 125s.

do you reckon i will be able to handle a 250?

get the 250 4t, adjust suspension add lowering link and slide forks down a bit= perfect height. plus you won't have to upgrade ever if you dont want. I'm 5'6" and ride a 06 crf250r and 06 kx250f no problems. tippy toes on stock suspension, balls of my feet after setting it up where i wanted it.

My opinion is go with the 125. I afraid that a 250yz might be to much bike for you at this time, but that's just me. If you are dead set on getting the yz250 than just be careful and take it slow.:smirk:

how long have you been riding? how hard can you push the 85? can you pin it at full throttle all the way though any corner?

I'd say make the most of the 85 while you have it, its harder to learn if you have a bike with too much power for you.

keep the 85 for at least another year, then move to the 250 when you know it will not be too much power or weight, you might still be growing also

how long have you been riding? how hard can you push the 85? can you pin it at full throttle all the way though any corner?

I'd say make the most of the 85 while you have it, its harder to learn if you have a bike with too much power for you.

keep the 85 for at least another year, then move to the 250 when you know it will not be too much power or weight, you might still be growing also

i can ride it preety hard, ive had it for nearly 3 years and i always used to ride on a farm and just some trails, so im kind of new to mx tracks so no i cant pin it at full throttle in every corner.

but i dont race or anything i just ride for fun at my local mx track and on a farm.

when i ride at a farm id rather the 250, but when im at my local mx track the 125 will be easier to handle. and the 250 has alot more low end power so thats why i like it, because its doesnt have to be pinned full out to get power. i still want a 250 but i dont want to make a wrong decision and not be able to handle it

Daniel let me clear some things up for you. I would promise you that your not riding that 85 to its full potential. If you were you would be replacing top ends every couple of rides. My dad and I have been riding and building small bore race bikes for 10+ years. 125s do have bottom end. You have to know how to jet them and how to build the motor correctly. There is no reason to jump from an 85 to a 250. In my opinion that is just dangerous. Your not gonna get on that 125 and make it scream. We have a motovross track not far from the house and last summer while build my 125 I was going there atleast once a week. At that time the bike had a new top end, v-force reeds, high compression base gasket, FMF pipe and Silencer and we were still playing with the jetting. One night while I was there me and a solid "A" rider on a 450 went at it on the track. Lets just say he started getting pissed off after about 1 lap when he couldn't get around a 125. Its not always about how big the bike is. Its about the rider. I mainly race hare scrambles and and i've seen many of small bore bikes smoke the bigger ones. Get the 125 and set it up correctly and you will be happy.

I would go with the 125. The 125 is also cheaper to rebuild a motor and general maint. If you fry a 250f motor and money is an issue, you will be looking at it sit in your shed for a long time. My son is 12 yrs. old but he is 5'5. He has a kx 85 and has been racing that for 2 yrs. now. We are converting it to a big wheel which is the same size as the kx 100 because we have a lot invested in the bike, motor, suspension, etc. When I see him screeming the you know what out of every corner and he is winning races, I will move him up. I was using him as an example. And don't use lowering linkage, It is no good.