Sign in to follow this  

2012 KTM 250SX Linkage?

Has anyone heard about if this may be true? KTM has said in the past that the PDS shock just works better for their 2 - Stroke line yet many places I've seen say that they may be switching all their motocross bikes over.

i was at a ktm dealer yesterday talking about ordering a 2012 250 sx asking what possible differences there are and he said he hadn't herd for sure but he thinks they will and will know by the end of the month at the latest.

The dealer show will be in june, then we will know...

The 2012 european ISDE EXC models , both 2t and 4t still have the PDS !

I've got a 2011 250xc with PDS and a 2011 450SXF with link, can't tell the difference except the link weighs more...

My dealer will be telling me start of june when their KTM rep/order guy comes in to take orders and tell whats coming on their 2012s.

Rumors so far is only the SX models will be switched to linkage and have a slight change in valving in the forks, some changes to some of the 4 strokes mostly seen in the 350sxf but this is the 2t section. I think there was a picture posted up here on here or KTMtalk of the pre-production 2012 150sx (maybe 250sx?) with a linkage.

Here actually.

untitled.jpg

I sure hope they stick with the PDS and NO link for the 2-strokes! The link is not an improvement for these bikes and they know it.

Theres no reason for KTM to throw linkage on these bikes if they "know" it isnt an improvement. Im sure they spent plenty of R&D hours to be sure that it is an improvement over the linkless PDS system.

That said I dont really see much wrong with my 08 250sxf PDS design when it is setup properly, as long as the linkage system acts as well as my PDS I really wont care.

The small amount of weight added will not be that noticeable and the weight added is at a low point on the bike making it even less noticeable.

The dealer show will be in june, then we will know...

The 2012 european ISDE EXC models , both 2t and 4t still have the PDS !

I've got a 2011 250xc with PDS and a 2011 450SXF with link, can't tell the difference except the link weighs more...

The link weighs more than what?

Theres no reason for KTM to throw linkage on these bikes if they "know" it isnt an improvement. Im sure they spent plenty of R&D hours to be sure that it is an improvement over the linkless PDS system.

That said I dont really see much wrong with my 08 250sxf PDS design when it is setup properly, as long as the linkage system acts as well as my PDS I really wont care.

The small amount of weight added will not be that noticeable and the weight added is at a low point on the bike making it even less noticeable.

in the motocross world, linkless has a bad name. Maybe KTM is making the change to further push sales. I think both work well, the PDS just takes a little more set up and has less maintenance. Marketing has as much to do about design as anything these days, so KTM may just be making the change to market to a bigger crowd, especially now when that seems to be the only thing many die hard motocrossers are concerned with.

I haven't put one on my hip yet, but considered going to a GG till I put it on my hip and felt the added weight of the linkage rear end. They may ride a little better, but I'm getting old and don't want to lift any more weight on the trail than I have to (which is why I am sticking with the 200). :thumbsup:

Yea i can see that...im mostly MX with a splash of trail riding so the only time i would notice the weight, if i could, would be on and off the stand.

Like i said as long as its as good as my PDS it doesnt matter to me, and for now their keeping the linkless for the xc and xc-w which hopefully they keep, I do notice when i trail ride the linkess doesnt get snagged where as my buddies with their links are constantly bashing them and getting caught up on crap.

Yea i can see that...im mostly MX with a splash of trail riding so the only time i would notice the weight, if i could, would be on and off the stand.

Like i said as long as its as good as my PDS it doesnt matter to me, and for now their keeping the linkless for the xc and xc-w which hopefully they keep, I do notice when i trail ride the linkess doesnt get snagged where as my buddies with their links are constantly bashing them and getting caught up on crap.

yep, there are too many other reasons TO own a KTM that the link dilemma doesn't matter to me either, as long as it works.

You all might want to look at the latest Transworld ...

The 2012 2 smokes are coming with LINKAGE ... yes ... LINKAGE !!!

Ummmmm ... wasn't it just last year the KTM engineers were telling everybody that the PDS system is the one that "works best" with the 2-stroke power.

KTM is just like the other 4 ... say whatever it takes to convince people ....

in the motocross world, linkless has a bad name.

reasons for this?

byte

wow that bike looks awesome! I wish I wasnt so impatient when I couldnt find an 11 250sx...