Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter cover (2007 CRF 450)

Is it possible to get the oil filter cover on 180 degrees backwards (upside down)? Just bought a 2007 CRF 450 and dropped the cover while trying to get it off the bike. Manual doesn't say anything about orientation.

Good question. I have never found anything in print but I alwas line it up so it lines up with the hole in the cover that looks like it sends oil to the crank.

If your worried about it, then just give a little scratch to mark it. No worries when you take it off.

It only goes on one way.

Nope, it will go on either way.

No, the holes only line up one way. They are not symmetrical.

He is right. Only one way. I dare you to to put it on opposite and still line up the bolts.

Well it was killing me so I had to find out last night.... Went home and laid the bike over and pulled the cover off AND............As stated above it will only go on one way. It looks like you could put it on 180 degrees backwards but the holes will not line up. Now I can sleep knowing I'm not gonna trash my motor next time I ride.

Well it was killing me so I had to find out last night.... Went home and laid the bike over and pulled the cover off AND............As stated above it will only go on one way. It looks like you could put it on 180 degrees backwards but the holes will not line up. Now I can sleep knowing I'm not gonna trash my motor next time I ride.

I guess I did the same thing but I never put the bolts in. I just always lined it up with the holes lined up for the oil flow.:smirk:

Now I can sleep knowing I'm not gonna trash my motor next time I ride.

Unless in the confused state you installed the new filter back to front:bonk:

only kidding you:busted: