Dealership != done right

I bought a bike off a friend who is very anal retentive. He even sent the engine to a Suzuki dealer to have it inspected and new piston put in (even though it didn't need it) get the valves inspected and get a helicoil installed for the valve cover (to get it back to the stock bolt).

Bike started overheating badly...

Long story short... the head was not even close to being torqued correctly (maybe they only went to 18 ft lbs and forgot to do the second step)

The head gasket ended up ruined.

2 valves were out of spec. The tightest one had a much bigger shim, so after getting the same shim size as the rest, it came back in spec)

The helicoil they put in was not the right thread, and it pulled out the first time I removed the valve cover.

The exterior head bolts were not torqued. when I tried to, they started to strip. Turns out they were the wrong bolts and only gripping 2 threads.

The cam journal bolts were over torqued.

I am not mad at the guy I bought it from, he did everything he could t make sure it was done right, but the shop dropped the ball badly in my opinion.

Wow, and for a second from that title I thought someone was gonna have something good to say about a dealer for once. That's insane that they screwed up almost everything they did. Makes the old change the oil and ride maintenance routine sound a lot more appealing.

sorry... ! means not in my head (and many programming languages)

FYI: I like the dealer near my house...

It is super convenient, they give me 15% off for ordering over the internet even though I pick stuff up. I just don't have them work on my rides, so I don't know about that.

It would suck if they went away. (it was a different dealer that made the above mistakes)

I would never bring my bike to a dealer. Most cannot keep good techs or wont pay them what they are worth so they leave and start there own business. Most dealers have kids screwing around with your bike. Find a good tech recommended by someone that has been around for along time. I bring my bike to one guy that has his own shop and has been in the business for 30 plus years. He backs up all his work and there is nothing he cant do. He builds high performance race engines and also does suspension work, porting, etc. He has well over $100 thousand in tools and machinery. That is the kind of guy you want.

It took an extra month for my friend to give me the bike because the engine was at the dealer. No way I am taking it back in riding season... Only ~$30 in parts and the job is done (it would cost me ore than that to drive it there)

Got the head gasket out and it is clearly bad.

When you go to a shop and everyone is covered in tattoo's, body piercing's, missing teeth, cussing in front of customers and looking like they just got out of a prison on parole.

This is what I normally see, I think the entire 'outlaw-biker' want-to-be image is OLD. If I had a dollar for the same copy-cat impostor, and they have the mechanical ability of a village idiot.

Just my opinion, it is very unprofessional and I will NOT buy from a dealer that has circus freaks running it. I wonder why some bikes shops go out of business...

Wow, and for a second from that title I thought someone was gonna have something good to say about a dealer for once. That's insane that they screwed up almost everything they did. Makes the old change the oil and ride maintenance routine sound a lot more appealing.

Haha ditto!

was the work done at river city cycle in kamloops b.c. Sounds like there shotty work

It was done in Illinois. I talked the guy that I bought the bike from... I had thought he was friendly with them, so I wasn't going to start bad mouthing them, but he says he has been losing confidence in them lately as well. Now he knows for sure.