Sign in to follow this  

smart performance kx250f

I just received a kx250f for service the bike is a 2009 the owner complains that I get too much headshake and if the compression is turned in the it becomes too stiff. I have never work on this dell taco kits but I was looking at the build sheet and I have a doubt in the fork setup the base plate is not listed and in the shock setup it is, so should the base valve be used without the base plate the one that meassure 30.5 od and 2.00 thick?

I have tried to contact smart performance with no luck it seems that when you do get a hold of Dave you will have a very good customer service BUT that is the hard part so I will say not a good customer service since a good customer service should be one that you can reach anytime like FC or MX-tech they allways answer the phone!

if anyone has experince with this please let me know because the only thing that I see in this build is that the base plate on the base valve is not listed on the sheet on the one in the shock is so maybe this is the problem with this forks but I don't know really:bonk:

the base valve doesnt blow off like the mid, so if the base plate is missing it should not matter at all, the shim stack will not reach the base plate anyway.

there has been a good few build sheets posted recently but dont know if they are relervant to that bike and fork, russ and mark(rss) know the DDT very well and should be able to help.

I just received a kx250f for service the bike is a 2009 the owner complains that I get too much headshake and if the compression is turned in the it becomes too stiff. I have never work on this dell taco kits but I was looking at the build sheet and I have a doubt in the fork setup the base plate is not listed and in the shock setup it is, so should the base valve be used without the base plate the one that meassure 30.5 od and 2.00 thick?

I have tried to contact smart performance with no luck it seems that when you do get a hold of Dave you will have a very good customer service BUT that is the hard part so I will say not a good customer service since a good customer service should be one that you can reach anytime like FC or MX-tech they allways answer the phone!

if anyone has experince with this please let me know because the only thing that I see in this build is that the base plate on the base valve is not listed on the sheet on the one in the shock is so maybe this is the problem with this forks but I don't know really:bonk:

Hey Hector,

Thanks for the update and feedback.

So first of all, when a known good set-up doesn't work for someone, we need to take the time to figure out why. We can't just start randomly creating new builds.

Sorry that we didn't back with you sooner.

The problem could be due to the design, the preference of the rider, or something not assembled correctly.

We get a lot of interesting calls here about a fork or shock doing something weird, and sometimes it's because the mid-valve is binding or one fork leg is double-filled. I mean, 80 to 90% of the time riders like the ride just as is, or need to tweak it just a little bit. Or perhaps they jsut have a few minor issues. So when someone doesn’t like the ride and then has severe headshake when only a minor adjustment is made, it sends up a big red flag that it may not be something related to the design.

First time uses of the Dell Taco sometimes have some issues understanding how the assembly comes together and it's very easy to get a shim trapped between the collar and the piston. If that does happen, and the fork is put into use, it would be a nightmare to ride. So one simple error can cause big problems.

So obviously, my first question is how confident you are in knowing that the collar and shims on the mid-valve are fitted correctly. Was the movement of the stack on the collar verified before the fork was reassembled? Did everything come together fairly easily or did anything seem too difficult to do or understand?

And is the fork just somewhat stiff, or is it not moving at all (very little)?

And, sorry I have to ask, are you certain that each fork leg only received the amount of fluid in the lower chamber as listed in the buildsheet? We have even seen some of the most experience tuners fill one fork leg, then get interrupted, only to fill the same leg again thinking that it’s the other leg. And certainly 660ml in one fork leg would cause big problems. I know that doesn’t seem likely, but we get about one call a month where this has happened.

I have to ask some of these questions because this is not a radical or overly stiff set-up, so again, when someone feels that it's too stiff we just need to determine if it's just too stiff for their liking or if there is really something wrong.

That said, we don't use the stock plate in the base valves, so the buildsheet is correct. This does not effect the performance or is related to the issue that the rider is having.

With that, this is not just a matter of releasing a new or updated buildsheet. If the problem is not fully understand and the design is not verified, issuing a new build will only lead to more problems for both of us. So we certainly just can't rush something out without fully understanding what the problem is.

Now...that said, some users do like their suspension to be much softer than what our traditional set-ups are like. We have even worked with some riders that just prefer to "ride the spring". In these cases, we can tweak the lead-in on the mid-valve to compensate for this. So we do have plenty of options but again, I won't be completely certain which one to issue until we know what we are working with.

Hope this helps and let me know your thoughts on how the bike is performaning and how things went on the install, and any other details on that the rider provider, and perhaps we can come up with some options.

Talk with you soon.

Dave

H Cabrera 09 KX250F.pdf

I had the same problem in fact Dave cunfuse you with me! But in my case the problem

Was the shock I don't know if that makes sense and I don't know if you have the same

Built sheet that Dave post, that is my built sheet and I even ride the bike at the track

And I felt It had problem in the shock but I took the forks apart but everything was ok

And when I took the shock a part the rebound needle was staying glose seems like some

Of the griding of the pin get to the needle.

But again Dave should be able to help you more

By the way I had the hardest time bleeding this shock the first time now I know why it was so hard to bleed

By the way I had the hardest time bleeding this shock the first time now I know why it was so hard to bleed

Where in florida are you located?

No, I'm not in the USA but I think shockdoc is in florida and maybe he could help you!

I installed the Del Taco system in my sons 2011 RMZ250. It is awesome. The more he rides it the better he likes it. And I had a very good package in there before the Taco. It's a very complex package and I did some head scratching but it was worth it.

I don't think the shock has something to do with the problem, I doble check and the mid valve is ok, the only difference in the midvalve is in the rebound after the last shim there is suppoust to be A16od 1.60 6 and instead they install to shims larger than the las shim, I think because the A16 1.60 6 will not fit, Is this affect the performance?

And is the fork just somewhat stiff, or is it not moving at all (very little)?

I have to ask some of these questions because this is not a radical or overly stiff set-up, so again, when someone feels that it's too stiff we just need to determine if it's just too stiff for their liking or if there is really something wrong.

The suspension feels really good actually when you compress it!!! but riding

is where the problem is:bonk:

That said, we don't use the stock plate in the base valves, so the buildsheet is correct. This does not effect the performance or is related to the issue that the rider is having.

Dave

It has the stock plate in the base valve installed now!!!!!

The suspension feels really good actually when you compress it!!! but riding

is where the problem is:bonk:

It has the stock plate in the base valve installed now!!!!!

If that's the case I'd make sure you don't have a binding problem from mounting the forks/front wheel. Make sure the forks are parallel after installing them.

I just need to confirm with Dave is the build is ok, I mean now I just have 2 doubts one is the base valve if the stock plate needs to be removed or not and in the midvalve if I need the A16 1.60 6 Or if it is ok with a couple of shims bigger that the last one because if I can confirm this 2 concerns then I will be sure that it is build ok and can move on to look for the problem somewhere else like binding or on the shock like someone sudgested but I need to know if the buil is done as it should because besides those 2 things I'm positive that everything else in the fork is ok

I think I have the problem but again I need DAVE J to confirm if this is whats wrong:banghead:

I think 2 things are happening:

1-The base plate on the base valve is installed(maybe this will not affect performance but not sure)

2-The base plate on the midvalve is installed and after looking at the other post that Dave posted he mention in the picture comment "stripped midvalve stem" so maybe there is to much preload on the springs and also that is why the A16 1.60 6 does not fit under the nut:bonk:

Dave I'm just waiting on your response to get all together and test!!!!!!!

Edited by Pitioa

I think you don't use neigther of them bu you got me all confused now :thumbsup:. So wait until dave confirms

Can someone help with this, I think anyone that previosly install this kit on a showa may help because as I see this kits are kind of universal for showas, I just don't want to take a shot in the dark and change something and then had to switched back again, I will like to get it rigth the first time.

I'm only consern about the midvalve base plate now as now I know I can remove the basevalve base plate to have the nut more secure but I don't have any instructions here for the kit just the build sheet so I'm really lost.

Can someone help with this, I think anyone that previosly install this kit on a showa may help because as I see this kits are kind of universal for showas, I just don't want to take a shot in the dark and change something and then had to switched back again, I will like to get it rigth the first time.

I'm only consern about the midvalve base plate now as now I know I can remove the basevalve base plate to have the nut more secure but I don't have any instructions here for the kit just the build sheet so I'm really lost.

plate comes out of the midvalve

plate comes out of the midvalve

Thanks!!!!

I will take both plates out and test:busted: So the spring on the midvalve most have much more preload than what should have and there is the problem :smirk:

I will post after testing:ride:

the base one does nothing, dont worry about it, the mid as you say will add as much preload as the thickness of the plate.

the base one does nothing, dont worry about it, the mid as you say will add as much preload as the thickness of the plate.

:smirk: