Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter cover (2007 CRF 450)

Is it possible to get the oil filter cover on 180 degrees backwards (upside down)? Just bought a 2007 CRF 450 and dropped the cover while trying to get it off the bike. Manual doesn't say anything about orientation. Feel free to take shots here... they will be well deserved.

what he said, it will fit in up to the oil seal, but the bolt holes will only line up one way. BE CAREFUL with the spring behind the oil filter. It is pretty pesky sometimes. It likes to fall down as you slide the filter in.. And is easy to loose and not put in. If you install the filter without the spring, the filter COULD not be held against the port on the cover and your not filtering oil as well, or at all..

what he said, it will fit in up to the oil seal, but the bolt holes will only line up one way. BE CAREFUL with the spring behind the oil filter. It is pretty pesky sometimes. It likes to fall down as you slide the filter in.. And is easy to loose and not put in. If you install the filter without the spring, the filter COULD not be held against the port on the cover and your not filtering oil as well, or at all..

Tiny dab of white lithium grease on end of spring will help keep it stuck on the filter until everything is in place.

Well it was killing me so I had to find out last night.... Went home and laid the bike over and pulled the cover off AND............As stated above it will only go on one way. It looks like you could put it on 180 degrees backwards but the holes will not line up. Now I can sleep knowing I'm not gonna trash my motor next time I ride.

Tiny dab of white lithium grease on end of spring will help keep it stuck on the filter until everything is in place.

good tip! ! why didn't i think of that?