Sign in to follow this  

09 250 XCFW low speed jetting

I have the 09 259 XCFW, purchased it new, about 14 hrs on it, once the bike is warm it idles perfect, when first starting it up for the day. I have to stay at the bike and mess with the choke on & off momentarily till it is warm. then it will idle, there seems to be a very slight lag coming off of idle, even when I gear a very slight pause then it will rev, all my jetting is stock, was thinking of opening the fuel screw about 1/4 turn, I have my buddys 08 KTM EXC 250 in my garage and I don't feel the bog it is more instant revving than my bike. don't know what jetting he is running,

Chet

Chet

The bike is lean from factory and will never run right until you put in a JD Jet Kit and set the carb up properly. Less warmup time and much better throttle responce. An EPA bike never runs right.

I'll second that on the JD kit. At the least raise the needle a notch. But really, just get the kit.

I'll second that on the JD kit. At the least raise the needle a notch. But really, just get the kit.

actually I was thinking of raising the needle one notch and doing the o-ring mod to the acc pump arm. what is the pilot jet that comes with the JD kit, I have a ton of jets, wonder if I can just buy the JD needle.

Chet

I put the J D kit in my 08 and it still was lean at idle, I went up 1 size on the pilot and its much better.

what size pilot are you running now

Chet

Without pulling the jet to verify, one up from stock, which I think stock is a 42 and I believe I have a 45 now, but not 100% on that. I know it did not come in the J D kit and I went to the dealer for it. Can't verify that because the bike is not here. I will look in the J D kit and see if the stock pilot is there and what size.

Without pulling the jet to verify, one up from stock, which I think stock is a 42 and I believe I have a 45 now, but not 100% on that. I know it did not come in the J D kit and I went to the dealer for it. Can't verify that because the bike is not here. I will look in the J D kit and see if the stock pilot is there and what size.

172 main 80 leak jet, 42 pilot, AP linkage wired together NCYR Honda needle in 5th clip position. Fuel screw 2 turns out.

Zero bog and runs perfect. Sea level.

STOCK pilot is a 42, so I put a 45 in Her, idle and low speed is much better, might try a 48 just to see what happens.

Save some money and get the SX needle(OBETP). Wire the AP linkage and back the screw most of the way out. If your bike starts up right away cold w/o choke then you are too rich on the pilot. I run 168/42/50 leak/OBETP 4th clip at 3000ft elev.