Sign in to follow this  

AC to DC/Battery power

I drew up these diagrams based upon what s on my bike, and how I think it should be. I am wanting to convert the system to DC/battery power, and I already have a regulator and a rectifier, but I am wanting another opinion.

This is how the system is right now:

aclighting.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it works perfectly fine, but I want to run HID lights which need a constant 12V power source, so that is why I am wanting to convert the system to DC then add in a battery.

I think this is how it should all be wired up when done:

dcbatterylighting.jpg

The ground coming off of the lighting coil grounds onto the engine, which then grounds onto the frame, and then the ground is picked up again then ran to the headlight.

I am thinking that if I run the frame ground to the rectifier, then I can run the DC ground to the battery, which then goes to the lights? The lights have their own separate wiring harness, they all work off of 2 wires running to then, nothing grounds to the frame.

As i remember the regulator will not work like that. The voltage spikes all over the place.

I'd get a reg/rec from Trailtech and be done. Worth the $35.

Actually I'm measuring right around 12 volts coming off of the regulator. Might look into the trail tech reg/rec for a cleaner layout... But otherwise, do you think the above can be done?

In your diagram, the way it's drawn, you have the rec taking voltage straight from the stator(lighting coil), before it goes thru the reg. I'm guessing that's not what you actually meant.

As for the rest, yeah that should work fine. I agree with getting a TT reg/rec to streamline the install and omit one extra component you have now.

I suggest using a combined regulator/rectifier, there are several aftermarket units for a fraction of the OEM price. I'm using a TrailTech unit on one of my bikes. Couple of caveats: The TrailTech unit is a five wire device with regulated battery charging so follow their wiring instructions. The regulators need filtering to work properly so make sure you have a good battery or use a capacitor (TrailTech sells them).

Actually I'm measuring right around 12 volts coming off of the regulator. Might look into the trail tech reg/rec for a cleaner layout... But otherwise, do you think the above can be done?

I tried the same as your pictures. The 12v was fine until i ran it through the invertor and put a load on it. Then the voltage went crazy. Crack the throttle and it may jump to over 20V+. That'll pop lights fast.

Do you need lights with the engine off? If you don't need the battery just run a capacitor. Cheaper and lighter. It'll control voltage spikes just as well. Some use nicads but they don't do well for this.

If your planning HID i'd use a battery.

^Alright, looks like I'll just get a TT reg/rec. I want to run HID's.