Sign in to follow this  

Add fork oil ? Showa Forks 05 CRF450X

My right side fork keeps leaking. I just had the seals replaced and they still keep leaking. A puddle in the back of my truck, a puddle in the garage, etc...

I think i need new shims but cant afford them and another break down/rebuild right now.

QUESTION:

Ive heard that i can add fork oil through the pressure release valve. Is that true? Is there anyway to determine how much I need to add or any way to check the final level after adding?

My right side fork keeps leaking. I just had the seals replaced and they still keep leaking. A puddle in the back of my truck, a puddle in the garage, etc...

I think i need new shims but cant afford them and another break down/rebuild right now.

QUESTION:

Ive heard that i can add fork oil through the pressure release valve. Is that true? Is there anyway to determine how much I need to add or any way to check the final level after adding?

Shims have no bearing on a leaking seal. You need to talk to the person who replaced the seal. Unless you have an accurate method to measure "puddles" you are out of luck.

Sounds like something is killing your seal, a scratch in the lower tube maybe? Adding oil through the release hole will not immediately go to the outer fork tube area. There are two holes in the top of the cartridge where the oil will have to escape into the outer fork leg. Some of the oil will remain in the floating piston as well, I measured that at around 8cc's once. So adding oil will work, but you'll be completely guessing though so it's not recommended. Oil is added in these forks by volume not level.