Sign in to follow this  

DR250 Stock Carb Issues

Hello everyone!

I recently picked up a 93 250SE for my first bike. After the usual maintenance, oil change, spark plug, fresh gas..., I took a ride. After a short while, it started leaking gas from the overflow tube and I figured it would be time to clean the carb.

After a good cleaning, new float, needle & seat, flush the tank, I am having some problems. It will start and idle fine, but when giving it any throttle it bogs down and stalls half the time. If you twist the throttle hard, it will rev up but stutter while it winds up.

The carb was pretty nasty inside, I'm guessing it sat for a while, but everything seemed in good order. I've checked the float level many times and it is exactly what the manual calls for.

Is there any adjusting the mixture on this carb? Also, there is a small fitting on the top cap of the carb where it looks like a hose should be but nothing was ever there. Should something be there?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Is there any adjusting the mixture on this carb? Also, there is a small fitting on the top cap of the carb where it looks like a hose should be but nothing was ever there. Should something be there?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

There is an idle mixture screw that's covered by a factory plug. You can follow this procedure to properly adjust idle mixture:

http://dr350.wikia.com/wiki/Hanging_idle

The fitting on the cap goes nowhere, pretend it does not exist and you will sleep better :thumbsup:

Hello again,

Thanks for the advice on that fitting. It was driving me crazy thinking I forgot to hook something back up.

I knew there had to be a "mixture" adjustment. I was thinking it was the 2 "Jets" at the bottom of the intake opening in the carb. According to what I find online, they are some kind of "Air" screw. I wasn't sure if there was an adjustment for those so before messing around I figured this was the place to ask!

Does your carb have the factory plug over the idle mixture screw? It should be visible without disassembling the carb.