The useless Mad River opening day speculation post

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's months away, but I am already anxious. I know this years snow and wet weather are going to make for a late opening. Any speculations at this point? Mid-late August? :confused:?

The same could be said about Gifford too.

Little Jeff

Question... I've done a lot of riding at GP but have never been to Mad River. I met a guy at the D100 and he had good things to say about Mad River and the Devils Backbone. So for all you Mad River riders who have been to GP let me know how they compare. Would a Mad River ride be worth it to me this year or should I stick to my two or three GP rides. I would be coming from the Portland area so the drive would be further.

This post may not be all that useless after all ?

Question... I've done a lot of riding at GP but have never been to Mad River. I met a guy at the D100 and he had good things to say about Mad River and the Devils Backbone. So for all you Mad River riders who have been to GP let me know how they compare. Would a Mad River ride be worth it to me this year or should I stick to my two or three GP rides. I would be coming from the Portland area so the drive would be further.

its a killer ride

GP is definitely world class cream of the crop, and Mad is just one step behind it. If GP was rated a 10 ( I would)....then Mad is a 9 so well worth the trip. I have ridden both for years and LOVE them both....but GP is bigfoot country as we all know :confused:

Joe

GP is definitely world class cream of the crop, and Mad is just one step behind it. If GP was rated a 10 ( I would)....then Mad is a 9 so well worth the trip. I have ridden both for years and LOVE them both....but GP is bigfoot country as we all know ?

Joe

Have you seen one Joe?:confused:

Last year it was the 3rd weekend in July, so my guess for this year is second week in august.

Joe

Heh, heh. Maybe my "strategic" leg break on April 23 ? will work out okay after all. I am targeting full functionality by August 1. Now my buddies will have an excuse for going even slower than they normally do when they have to wait for me.

Thanks for the info Joe... exactly what I was looking for. I think we'll be driving the extra miles this year. Lots of good information between my post and yours but you nailed it ?

GAS it Baby! ?

You might consider the Teanaway area too. It might be a little tougher than Mad River in places. It's a little closer to you also.

Better yet, ride them both! Hopefully, last weekend's downpour has left something to ride. I know the Taneum area to the South was hit hard but I haven't heard anything about Teanaway nor Mad River / Entiat Valley.

Some of the better (difficult) trails in the Mad River Area are being closed if not already closed... every one of them is on my list of preferred trails. I avoid the main Mad River Trail, but then, I'm always on a Gas Gas Trials bike and the fast trails riddled with roots hammer my suspension and body.