how much maintance are 450 really?

im looking to upgrade from my blaster and would really like a yfz 450R. But really dont want to work on it after every 3 hours i ride. I have a drz 400 sm so I know the honda and suzuki 400 are praticaly bulletproof. I dont know what to get.

With anything motorized, if you take care of it, it will last.Even if its just basic oil, oil filter, air filter.

All the 450's have little skirtless pistons that tolerate a lot of compression blow-by. This means that the oil gets rapidly contaminated with fuel, diluting it out and causing a loss of viscosity. So, frequent oil changes are required! My oil change interval is around 5 hours on the YFZ. I also use an ester based synthetic oil...Redline.

And, I keep up on valve adjustments.

How often do you do your valve adjustments?

I check mine every 20 hrs.

I've had 2-2004 TRX450R's & now have a 2005 TRX450R that was build in early 2006 by Tom Miller Motorsports in Clarksburg, TN. I have yet to check the valves on the 05 & it will crank on the 1st kick just about every time. Change the oil ( I use Rotella T 15W40) in both the engine/tranny side every few rides, keep the air filter clean (I use a K&N) & you should be fine. Also, I never put the quad back in the shop dirty. It gets cleaned after every ride.

I did recently change the hot start cable & the carb intake boot. The boot had got really "hard" from using "race gas".

I've had 2-2004 TRX450R's & now have a 2005 TRX450R that was build in early 2006 by Tom Miller Motorsports in Clarksburg, TN. I have yet to check the valves on the 05 & it will crank on the 1st kick just about every time. Change the oil ( I use Rotella T 15W40) in both the engine/tranny side every few rides, keep the air filter clean (I use a K&N) & you should be fine. Also, I never put the quad back in the shop dirty. It gets cleaned after every ride.

I did recently change the hot start cable & the carb intake boot. The boot had got really "hard" from using "race gas".

Keep up the good work! And, continue to encourage others to ruin their engines as well!!!

How often do you do your valve adjustments?

The most important valve adjustment is the first one at 20 hours, just after your engine is completely broken in! After that, at least twice as often as the owner's manual recommends.

I recommend buying yourself a clymer manual or the factory one is great. Learn to do the valve stuff yourself and invest in the proper tools. If you do it yourself especially if you ride a lot or have four strokes for the rest of your life which you probably will you will save alot of money. Plus you won't have to wait for a shop every time. I've had several yamaha 450 bikes and they're not that complicated to maintain if you are patient enough to do it right. After the first couple times it'll be second nature. And change the oil a lot with high quality synthetic.