Sign in to follow this  

Why I ride a 2 stroke

Alright, I've owned 125's, 250 2t, 450's, and now I ride the coveted "3 stroke". Perhaps the biggest debate in all of motor cycles is the 2t vs. 4t....and this couldn't be a more heated and confused topic then in the off road world. When I attended my first enduro this time last year I was amazed and excited to see how many people still rode 2 strokes.

Now I'm not that old, but I remember in my younger days when I used to ride mx, sitting at the gate of my race at Cahiulla Creek with my shiny new 450 under me...looking at the 100 yard loamy uphill start and then looking at the guys all around me on 250 2t and thinking to myself that these guys don't have a chance in hell beating me to the first turn. Now that I ride to a different tune and no longer do mx I find my train of thought a lot different.

Most any experienced desert guy will tell you that the start of a desert race isn't a horse power game as it was in my first mx race, but more like a motorcycle version of a staring contest. Every body is holding their bike WFO and it is just a matter to see who's going to blink and let off first. Here, the size of your **lls (or ovaries) is what matters most and not the size of your motor. After the madness of the bomb is where the real fun begins. It is usually 80 miles of a mixture of uphills, downhills, sand, rocks, whoops, valley sprints, water falls and usually a combination of all of these. It is here, that it doesn't matter how much horsepower your bike has, but it's a test if you and your equipment can survive.

Riding a 2t in these events I rarely worry about my motor....I just take advantage of my 30-40 lb weight advantage and concentrate on staying as "fresh" as I possibly can because I know the real race is gonna be in the last 30 or so miles when I am bulldogging, lifting, pushing and pulling my bike through the rocks which is a test that I would much rather do on my 225 pound 300 then a 260 lb off road thumper of your choice. Where weight and 56 raw horse power used to kill me in this part of the race, It kills me less with the buttery smooth power of my 2t and I'll emphasize again; the light weight. Cost, maintenance and the simplistic nature of a 2t have been beaten to death, but the fact of the matter is I love to ride motorcycles....and I love it more on a 2t! Why does your off road bike go BRRRAAAAPP!

Let the debate begin :thumbsup:

and thats why at 47 today, ichoose to ride a 150 xc at my local desert series,its not about the start its all about the last 30 mile Braaaaap!!!!:thumbsup:

I don't understand the 2 stroke vs 4 argument. Its simple; both engines have pros and cons. Some people prefer one engine type over the other because of those them. The big reason why these threads come up is because someone wants to reaffirm their decision to buy one or the other was right. If 2 strokes really get your blood flowing, awesome! If 4 strokes are your love, great! Either way, stop debating it and just ride it!

Yeah, I don't understand the debate either. What is the purpose of an IC engine? To create power. If you can make more power with less weight, half the CC's, and fewer moving parts, that's an IMPROVEMENT. NO?

Alright, I've owned 125's, 250 2t, 450's, and now I ride the coveted "3 stroke". Perhaps the biggest debate in all of motor cycles is the 2t vs. 4t....and this couldn't be a more heated and confused topic then in the off road world. When I attended my first enduro this time last year I was amazed and excited to see how many people still rode 2 strokes.

Now I'm not that old, but I remember in my younger days when I used to ride mx, sitting at the gate of my race at Cahiulla Creek with my shiny new 450 under me...looking at the 100 yard loamy uphill start and then looking at the guys all around me on 250 2t and thinking to myself that these guys don't have a chance in hell beating me to the first turn. Now that I ride to a different tune and no longer do mx I find my train of thought a lot different.

Most any experienced desert guy will tell you that the start of a desert race isn't a horse power game as it was in my first mx race, but more like a motorcycle version of a staring contest. Every body is holding their bike WFO and it is just a matter to see who's going to blink and let off first. Here, the size of your **lls (or ovaries) is what matters most and not the size of your motor. After the madness of the bomb is where the real fun begins. It is usually 80 miles of a mixture of uphills, downhills, sand, rocks, whoops, valley sprints, water falls and usually a combination of all of these. It is here, that it doesn't matter how much horsepower your bike has, but it's a test if you and your equipment can survive.

Riding a 2t in these events I rarely worry about my motor....I just take advantage of my 30-40 lb weight advantage and concentrate on staying as "fresh" as I possibly can because I know the real race is gonna be in the last 30 or so miles when I am bulldogging, lifting, pushing and pulling my bike through the rocks which is a test that I would much rather do on my 225 pound 300 then a 260 lb off road thumper of your choice. Where weight and 56 raw horse power used to kill me in this part of the race, It kills me less with the buttery smooth power of my 2t and I'll emphasize again; the light weight. Cost, maintenance and the simplistic nature of a 2t have been beaten to death, but the fact of the matter is I love to ride motorcycles....and I love it more on a 2t! Why does your off road bike go BRRRAAAAPP!

Let the debate begin :thumbsup:

And here we go!

Anyways, what 2 stroke are you riding thats buttery smooth and what 450 has 56 horse power? Ill agree on the light weight part and my 295 is fun as hell out in the desert or in the dunes, but buttery smooth it is not.

Yeah, I don't understand the debate either. What is the purpose of an IC engine? To create power. If you can make more power with less weight, half the CC's, and fewer moving parts, that's an IMPROVEMENT. NO?

If only everything were so black and white. Youre also forgetting about delivery, reliability, :thumbsup::blah::confused:

2T FTW... 'nuff said.

hopefully thats all that will be said...

And here we go!

Anyways, what 2 stroke are you riding thats buttery smooth and what 450 has 56 horse power? Ill agree on the light weight part and my 295 is fun as hell out in the desert or in the dunes, but buttery smooth it is not.

Um well most 300cc 2t are quite smooth and Most 450's from 2004 to 2008 Made 56hp at the crank!