Annoying chain roller

Am I the only one to have a noisy upper chain roller?

I did some searches but the solution was to change it...

It's my 5th upper chain roller lol... The first one I lost it, the second one the boalt broke and the 2 others the bearings exploded. As I can remember, the oem one wasn't noisy the first year.

Seriously, it's driving me crazy hearing tsk tsk tsk everytime I'm cruising at a constant speed:bonk:! Chain slack is supposed to be ok...It's worst when my gf is with me.

What sprockets are you using ? Maybe add preload to your rear spring?

16/41 but it was the same with 15/41.

I may try the suspension but I'm very light so I don't think that's the problem lol

I wouldn't think the the chain would come into contact with the upper chain roller except on big hits to the suspension only. You sure it's the upper roller and not the lower roller or something else (chain itself)?

Is your bike lowered? Do you have a picture of your chain slack? This isn't adding up. I'm at 10K and change on the original rollers and I'm just now thinking of machining myself new ones just because I'm bored.

You might take a look at some KTM parts. Some models use a slipper in place of a roller. That might be quieter.

At one time I lost my upper roller (the chain slaps against it and unscrews the bolt) and did not notice it for some time. I wonder if it is really needed.

I played with my bike with the rear shock extracted while I was lubing the pivot bushings, and I think it just keeps the tension fairly uniform when the rear suspension is extremely compressed. I think otherwise it might get a little loose.

I wouldn't think the the chain would come into contact with the upper chain roller except on big hits to the suspension only. You sure it's the upper roller and not the lower roller or something else (chain itself)?

The chain touches the chainroller when it's not on heavy load, I can see it turning while riding.

Is your bike lowered? Do you have a picture of your chain slack? This isn't adding up. I'm at 10K and change on the original rollers and I'm just now thinking of machining myself new ones just because I'm bored.

The bike isn't lowered, I don't have a pic but the chain freeplay is 45mm and the manuel recommand between 40-50mm on the sidestand. I'm at 32 500 miles so I'm tired of hearing it :confused::thumbsup:

You might take a look at some KTM parts. Some models use a slipper in place of a roller. That might be quieter.

At one time I lost my upper roller (the chain slaps against it and unscrews the bolt) and did not notice it for some time. I wonder if it is really needed.

The roller proteck the coolant overflow and some wiring I think. The ktm part option sounds interesting or maybe just a plastic block.

I'm planning a 5000 miles trip so I want to resolve that lol