ygpA367.jpg

ygpA361.jpg

These are the after shots. Check out my garage to see more

100_3986.jpg

100_39842.jpg

100_398211.jpg

100_39831.jpg

Looks good.

What exactly did you do to it (besides plastics)?

What did you use to paint your headers (do you think it will stand up to the extreme heat cycles)?

Sent the frame out to get welded, blasted and powdercoated!!!!! glossy black! looks sweet. the engine was totally re done with a 270 kit in her. all the mods to get it street legal. ricky stator/ reg/recf. Its a whole new bike. the only thing that is still from 1986 is the tank and kicker. I used high heat paint for the header and pipe. it holds up well. did it on my 650 a few years ago and its still looking great. check out my garage

Any thoughts on what else I could do to it. still working out a carb issue

personally it look better before and more sorted out.

I assume you put a new top end in the bike by the before pics. You need to address your wiring and front brake line/cable issues. they are routed to where it is dangerous to ride. New forks boots would help make it look much newer.

For the carb issues, inspect the boot to the head. They are known to crack and leak. Also clean the pilot jet out.

Cool, how does the big bore feel compared to stock?

It adds a little extra power. I have a xr 650 also but love the 270 hands down.

Out of all those pic's the Smokey one looks best. :thumbsup:

I have the same hand guards on a 95. I rebuilt the bike and the first ride I fell over on a snow bank and broke the left one going 2 mph. Fall to the right.

I like the 250's too but also the power of the 400.

I thought that I wanted a 400 but I rode my buddies and it is just way to tall for me. I was able to lower my 650 for the same reason. If I can do that to a 400 then I will love it.

:thumbsup:

:ride::ride:

Good to see an 86 still out there tearing it up! Looks nice.

I invested way to much money in this pig! but , I will never sell it so, its worth every penny.

How is your headlight shell mounted to the bike? I don't seem to see the typical rubber bands. Nice conversion.

:eek::thumbsup::smirk::thumbsup::thumbsup:Yeah, the set-up on the bike in the third pic. Oh to have a starter, with nice form too.

I actually used the headlight mount from an xl 250 and it works great. everything is lolted on nice. I do like th look of the small light better. But, I do a bit of night riding in the woods. So.... I needed to make the change

LINK!!!! :worthy:
:eek::thumbsup::smirk::thumbsup::thumbsup:Yeah, the set-up on the bike in the third pic. Oh to have a starter, with nice form too.

hahahaha Best looking babe on a bike thread!!!!!!! there are many there!!!!!!

Rangerfng,

The black plastics are they painted, if not where did you find them? The 250L headlight, I like the bigger bezel more light. Also did you change you elect to DC for the light, thought the R's we AC. With the L headlight you can easily run HID and get 10x the light with less draw than the old halo.

Rangerfng,

The black plastics are they painted, if not where did you find them? The 250L headlight, I like the bigger bezel more light. Also did you change you elect to DC for the light, thought the R's we AC. With the L headlight you can easily run HID and get 10x the light with less draw than the old halo.

Hey Chief.

I bought a Tusk Dual Sport kit Ricky Stator and A regulator and a battery eliminator. What a pain in the Ass it was to get everything to work together. I had thought about the HID but my buddy was having issues with his on his XR 400

The plastics were Painted. I rough sanded all the bumps out. then light sanded then so that the krylon paint would hold good. I did the same to my 650 and only have to do touch up work where I wear the paint down with my boots. I am happy with how it had held up