Sign in to follow this  

Chain Roller & Power Valve Question

Upper Chain Roller: My stock one disappeared and I ordered an aftermarket one. Should the roller have the raised center? Does it matter?

Power Valve Cover: I have the front cover of the cylinder off and have a question about reassembly. I noticed the four coolant o-rings have silicone on them. Do I need to reapply anything to them when I put it back together?

Upper Chain Roller: My stock one disappeared and I ordered an aftermarket one. Should the roller have the raised center? Does it matter?

Power Valve Cover: I have the front cover of the cylinder off and have a question about reassembly. I noticed the four coolant o-rings have silicone on them. Do I need to reapply anything to them when I put it back together?

Hi g-man80.

my KTM 2-stroke does not have a upper chain roller so I can't speak to that. Mine has an upper chain guide which does have a raised center ridge.

I have assembled my exhaust flange without putting silicone on the o-rings themselves. I always use hi-temp RTV (some folks use Yamibond #4 as well) on the mating surfaces...a very thin, even coat on the flange surface and the cylinder surface. I wipe away and RTV ooze from the exterior of the joint after I bolt it together. If it's oozing from the exterior, it's likely oozing in the interior as well...so don't glob it anywhere on the surface...very thin coat is perfect.

Let it sit for 24hrs. before filling with coolant and starting.

Works for me every time.

p.s. I tried Hylomar...bad choice. Others may have had success with it but I didn't.

-Jay

I use new o rings and FMF high temp Silicone around the O rings. It's red in color so the globs of red mess between the flange and cylinder look cool.....

Thanks for the input guys. It is much appreciated. Now if KTMhutt would just get my parts here.

Thanks for the input guys. It is much appreciated. Now if KTMhutt would just get my parts here.

:thumbsup: Yeah...KTMHutt...where urgency and qucik turnaround of orders are only passing concepts.

Ok, one follow-up question. Do I need to grease the two o-rings and the arms on the powervalve? If yes, what type of grease? I'm referring #19 and #20 in the image below.

pv.jpg

EDIT: I lied, I have another question. Is there a torque spec for the four allen bolts that hold the pv cover to the cylinder?

Edited by g_man80
  • Like 1

Ok, one follow-up question. Do I need to grease the two o-rings and the arms on the powervalve? If yes, what type of grease? I'm referring #19 and #20 in the image below.

pv.jpg

EDIT: I lied, I have another question. Is there a torque spec for the four allen bolts that hold the pv cover to the cylinder?

No need to grease the o-rings. Assemble them dry.

6NM is the torque spec for the cover bolts.

Awesome. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. I'll say that compared to my last three 4-strokes this thing is a breeze to work on.

Awesome. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. I'll say that compared to my last three 4-strokes this thing is a breeze to work on.

Agreed.

No need to grease the o-rings. Assemble them dry.

6NM is the torque spec for the cover bolts.

doesnt hurt to put grease on the orings either.

agreed on 6NM but 7NM is what i did and havent have a problem with the threads.

about your previous post:

iv heared of yamabond 3 4 and 5. is it the yamabond 4 is the better choice just like yoiu have said?

doesnt hurt to put grease on the orings either.

agreed on 6NM but 7NM is what i did and havent have a problem with the threads.

about your previous post:

iv heared of yamabond 3 4 and 5. is it the yamabond 4 is the better choice just like yoiu have said?

Yamabond 4...that's the stuff.

and you had how many fourstrokes?:ride:

and you had how many fourstrokes?:lol:

Three :lol: and I wouldn't mind adding another one to the garage :ride:. Unfortunately the budget only allows one at a time.