Whats your first "go to" mod for your new/used stock bike

So you just bought a new or used bike and its completely stock...whats the very first add on you go for??? And I'm talking performance mods not graphics and seat covers! Whats your "go to" add on.....exaust? Motor parts like piston, rings, valves?? Suspension kits??

get it jetted right, top end if its a 2-stroke, set the sag and mess with the suspension and replace all the fluids. :thumbsup:

Suspension, then porting

Suspension

Ok I see suspension with three votes...... 43 views and only three post.....come on guys and gals!!

Jetting and Oil Filter, then look into a pipe if it doesn't already have one. Just now learning about suspension and I'm liking what I've learned so far so they may go to the top of the list! :thumbsup:

A quick evaluation of the motor to make sure all is well and then suspension.

Motor upgrades can wait

Jetting and Oil Filter, then look into a pipe if it doesn't already have one. Just now learning about suspension and I'm liking what I've learned so far so they may go to the top of the list! :thumbsup:

For the money exhausts are really low on the list of bang for your buck. Suspension is pretty much a must. A properly set up suspension will do wonders for your speed and safety. Porting many times will get you a lot more. On 4 strokes a camshaft swap out will also get you more than an exhaust will and comparing a full system to a cam there is a lot of money to be saved going with the cam.

The lack of responses is probably due to the nature of the question. There is no "one" mod because the list of variables is too large. New bikes - the suspension would most likely be your biggest concern. Getting it sprung for your weight and then set and/or valved for your style is not only the most frequent mod, it's the most important also, besides lubing the wheels, steering, and swingarm/link. Used bike, another story altogether as problems/neglect may direct your attention elsewhere. Doesn't make much sense to mod the suspension when the thing runs poorly or worse yet, won't stop or shift. You get the picture. Lubrication, as mentioned above, will apply to all though. Also each make/model has their own little idiosyncrasies which makes that list of variables infinitely larger. Good luck ...

For me it all depends on the bike. There's no single "one mod" for all bikes in my opinion.

The first concern for me is engine performance, so I would have to agree with the other guys on jetting/intake.

Edited by mikewrf18
The lack of responses is probably due to the nature of the question. There is no "one" mod because the list of variables is too large. New bikes - the suspension would most likely be your biggest concern. Getting it sprung for your weight and then set and/or valved for your style is not only the most frequent mod, it's the most important also, besides lubing the wheels, steering, and swingarm/link. Used bike, another story altogether as problems/neglect may direct your attention elsewhere. Doesn't make much sense to mod the suspension when the thing runs poorly or worse yet, won't stop or shift. You get the picture. Lubrication, as mentioned above, will apply to all though. Also each make/model has their own little idiosyncrasies which makes that list of variables infinitely larger. Good luck ...

Gotcha.....and thanks for the answer! I knew there was gonna be a variety of answers based on the broad question and different variables. I'm just bored at work, been here since midnight and don't get off till 4pm(yeah 16 hours suck) Just thought I would through out the question to see what the responses would be (plus get my post count up :thumbsup:) I just picked up an 07 kx250f with a full RG3 suspension set-up for my weight and stature...got me thinking about what next to add on....

Thanks everyone

I see, all of my posts were made under the assumption that the bike was in fine condition before modding so no repairs were needed. If the suspensions is already set up for youre weight and skill level then porting and cam shafts will give you the most bang for the buck. They do take a bit more advanced mechanical skills to get the parts out and replaced than an exhaust pipe however.

Put prefered bars on first thing.

I would ride it like I stole it for awhile. The bike will tell you what it needs.

Bark busters. I have a tendency to run my levers into things, like the ground.

grips, ASV levers, suspension, and then later on pipe+silencer and a new reed block.

I would ride it like I stole it for awhile.

Good advice...I will keep that in mind on the track this weekend lol :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the tips and answers everyone!!

A quick evaluation of the motor to make sure all is well and then suspension.

Motor upgrades can wait

That's my plan of attack also. :thumbsup:

Moto bike: grease everything, jetting...ride it for a while...then suspension

Off Road: grease everything, jetting, spark arrestor if needed, skid plate, hand guards, steering damper, IMS tank...ride it for a while....then suspension

For the most part I get plenty out of the stock engine and pipe. I only replace things when they get broken.

1st thing send off Suspension for rebuild/re-valve if older or rode hard and am planing on racing it