Sign in to follow this  

Back in the game

Well, I guess I am back in the XR game. My son has decided to quit riding and I have kind of inherited his '05 650R. It is equipped with an Edelbrock pumper, a Baja Designs kit and an IMS 4.6 gal. tank. I have spent some time on it since he bought it new and it is quite a bike as those of you who have them already know. Due to a worsening bad back and other life changes that come with the passage of time, I have reluctantly sold my KTM and will be doing only occasional adventure type rides and some of the easier dual sports as long as the old body will take the punishment. I plan to fit the bike with dual sport type tires. Since I have practically no experience with these types of tires I would like recommendations from those of you who use them. Thanks for any advice.

For mostly street riding, I like the IRC GP-110 tires. They get very good traction on the street and work okay off road - except in mud.

I have some Continental TKC-80 tires for mostly dirt riding, but legal to take on the street. Those aren't nearly as good for street riding.

I had the Conti Tourances on the Moto Guzzi Quota; improved the handling from the Pirelli's that it had on it when I bought it.

I replaced them with Bridgestone Battle Wings. Handling is a tad slower in the twisties but I feel more planted on dirt roads (but maybe that is because of my increased experience with the XR650L in dirt?); so far very happy with them.

Friends speak highly of the Kenda tires.

There is a new brand that the Quota group is talking about (can't recall the name) I'll try to remember to add when I can look it up.

That said, too many good choices, if you check out the tires from your favorite supplier (e.g. motorcycle-superstore), match the tread with the type of road surface you expect, the gross weight you intend to be at 90% of the time, cross reference with user feedback, and order them up.

As long as you ride on the roads you expect I think you'll be hard pressed to find a bad tire. Just don't expect a Conti Road Attack to perform in the dirt like a Bridgestone Trail Wing and you should be good.

Let us know what you get; I'm slowly getting a second set of wheels for my L (front on the way, rear to go) that will get street oriented dual sport tires and I have not decided what to get yet.

Let us know what you get; I'm slowly getting a second set of wheels for my L (front on the way, rear to go) that will get street oriented dual sport tires and I have not decided what to get yet.
IRC GP-110, like I said above. :thumbsup:

Sorry Scott; I was directing my comments to Creeky; but that IRC GP-110 does look pretty good!
Just trying to sway you in that direction.

I've been through a lot of different brands of tires on the various Ducatis that I've owned, searching for the perfect tire. That includes Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, Avon, and Pirelli. If there's anything that I don't quite like about a tire, I try something else until I'm happy.

When I bought my XR650L, it came with IRC GP-110 tires. I had never even hear of that brand, but decided to at least keep running them and see how they worked. After the rear wore out, I bought another one as a replacement, because it seemed good enough. Then when it was time to replace both tires I didn't feel a strong need to try something else, so I bought another set. I recommend them because I like how they work and don't want others to miss out on a good tire.

I've had really good luck with the shinko 244's.

I'll second that. the shinko 244's work great everywhere but the mud. if i'm not running knobby's , it's the 244's. Can't beat the price either.

creeky wheres the photos already :confused:

You're jumping the gun :thumbsup: ....the bike is still in my son's garage, I'll be picking it up sometime next few days, I'll post some photos.