Sign in to follow this  

look this isn't rocket surgery

Just want to have a whinge to anyone that'll listen.

And what brought this on was having a race with a guy on a 2011 kx450 just for fun and also having a look at service honda website.

Now i understand the GFC and all that good gear but people are still buying new bikes. which brings me to my gripe and like the title states "it ain't rocket surgery "

Kawasaki had a crack at the offroad market with the klx450r and for a first attemp i thought it was a great machine and the klx250 was in no way a stable platform to build from and the klx400 was just a DR400.

As all new things go it had some issues and teething problems and slow sales due to the financial crisis. Now in 2011 this would be the best time for kawi to take the market by the balls and deliver something to squash all the european manufactures at well lets face it thier own game.

And this is how its could be done.

KLX450R

Use the KX/KLX as a base again but with a few changes

1) F.I

2) Shave 10 pound (most from the top of the bike)

3)Upgrade the charging system

4)Revised chain slider (possibly T.M as stock)

5)sort the chain slap

6)quick release seat with top access to the filter with no tools

7)revised header route/maybe length

8)cooling fan (option)

More options:

KLX250R

Same as the 450 just with a 250f F.I with E Start

(same tranny would be fine)

KLX300R

Same chassis again but a 2t 300cc

(not hard to source a motor from any 2t manufactures or mod one of thier old 250's service honda has no probs shoe horning 2t's into 450 frames)

I bought a kwaka cause i've loved them since i was a kid and the 450R was the only option for me and that was the issue.

The two other bike options would not take a huge budget to accomplish as the R&D is already there And fixing the 450 issues is chicken feed.

This is just what i have been mulling over for quite some time and knowing that kawasaki heavy Ind.is more interested in making trains and other big ticket money making items, but look people there is a market ready to be exploited as not everyone wants or can afford a KTM or have dealers for gassers and huskys.

Sorry for this post as i know its all been said before but i just wanted to throw in my two cents.

The KLX has the right stuff to be the best.

Sounds good to me and you made some good points.......I just think the money [or advertising money] isn't there for them to spend on R&D. The "pumpkins" have pretty much corned the market on the enduro machines and it would take some serious cash and development to produce even one of the machines you listed above. All the hype is the KX line and of course, that's where the money is too. Let get an ISDE back in this country and have Kawi sponser with the advertising of the all new KLX line! Wishful thinking I'm afraid but I still hope something's in the works~

Although, I'd love to see it happen...earthquakes, tsunami's, and nuclear meltdowns put a huge dent in your ability to deliver new products to the market. Dirt bikes just don't make the critical list. Resources are spent elsewhere.

Although, I'd love to see it happen...earthquakes, tsunami's, and nuclear meltdowns put a huge dent in your ability to deliver new products to the market. Dirt bikes just don't make the critical list. Resources are spent elsewhere.

Too true just wanted to have a bleet about it. Happy too wait till their back on their feet.

Im glad I bought a leftover KLX450R brand new. You wont see an updated model for quite a while. Check cycletrader and you will see there are still plenty of 08's and 09's sitting around at dealers. There will be no investment in new bikes until they clear out the leftovers. Nevermind the fact that dirtbiking is a dying sport. Razrs Rhinos Rangers and ATVs have all but replaced the dirtbike around here. Keep in mind Im coming off a 96 WR250Z that I also bought new back in 96. Funny thing is that the old 96 WR is bone stock and blows the doors off the new KLX. Time to start modding!

I will be installing my stage 2 cams and rejetting tonight! Im really hoping for the top-end to come alive and run like a KX. Full report will be posted in the proper forum

Im glad I bought a leftover KLX450R brand new. You wont see an updated model for quite a while. Check cycletrader and you will see there are still plenty of 08's and 09's sitting around at dealers. There will be no investment in new bikes until they clear out the leftovers. Nevermind the fact that dirtbiking is a dying sport. Razrs Rhinos Rangers and ATVs have all but replaced the dirtbike around here. Keep in mind Im coming off a 96 WR250Z that I also bought new back in 96. Funny thing is that the old 96 WR is bone stock and blows the doors off the new KLX. Time to start modding!

I will be installing my stage 2 cams and rejetting tonight! Im really hoping for the top-end to come alive and run like a KX. Full report will be posted in the proper forum

With the KX Head installed & Pro Circut porting the KLX is supposed to really wake up. But, I ride northeast woods so this bike has more than enough ponies for me.

In America, none of the Japanese manufacturers are gonna have a hit on their hands until the bikes are 50-state street-legal. Simple. That's whay Husky's, KTM's, Beta's and Bergs are the bikes that sell.

They sell a full enduro (not watered down dualsport) bike with a plate like the Euro's do...ding ding ding ding...you have a winner. The hard parts are one thing; being able to legally ride it on the road is a whole new ballgame that makes the sale.

Exactly!!!!

In America, none of the Japanese manufacturers are gonna have a hit on their hands until the bikes are 50-state street-legal. Simple. That's whay Husky's, KTM's, Beta's and Bergs are the bikes that sell.

They sell a full enduro (not watered down dualsport) bike with a plate like the Euro's do...ding ding ding ding...you have a winner. The hard parts are one thing; being able to legally ride it on the road is a whole new ballgame that makes the sale.

ditto that Yan~

Being a newbie with a KLX450R, why do people buy these bikes and then mod them to run like a KX instead of buying a KX450. I bought mine for the electric start and knowing it was somewhat detuned then a KX450, while I love the electric start and I will be getting the suspension rebuilt to handle my weight and an MX track, don't really feel there is anything to do to the motor in terms of performance mods other then exhaust. Don't mistake this for a smart ass question, I am really curious. As I get more experience under my belt, I see an upgrade or if the suspension changes work, maybe not.

why do people buy these bikes and then mod them to run like a KX instead of buying a KX450]

This is exactly what I did and its because of the kind of riding I like to do. I have an 07 KX450f that I bought one year before I got a KLX. The power of the KX is awesome but its hard to ride it in the steep woods, trails, etc.

The KLX offers electric start, lights, stator, battery, wide ratio gearbox, speedo, coolant tank, and a larger seat with lower height.

But after riding a KX450 for a year, the KLX did not have the power output Im used to. So I slapped in stage two cams and KX exhaust, rejetted, and now it runs the way I like it!

IMO the KLX is a way better bike for the type of riding I do, but it should have came with a KX head and cams!

Edited by Johns08KLX450R

Think the KLX 300 2t smoker would sell like hot cakes. Especially with a starter and FI.

Not many have KX'd there KLX. If they did try to KX it. It was more than likely to get the KLX tranny or majic button. Number plates to save the light from a fate like Rome's bike and shaving needless weight is not KXing it. And as Yanni said, normal off showroom floor upgrades. (degreen stickering it - de-californizing it).

Thought the KX cams didn't work on our bikes?

Think the KLX 300 2t smoker would sell like hot cakes. Especially with a starter and FI.

After all my rambling just that one idea would have been the "bees knees of the ducks nuts" in mother words :smirk: