Sign in to follow this  

Would Thread Seal Tape Work?

Hey guys, I was talking with a friend yesterday and we got to talking about the small oil leak I currently have on my 07 at the drain bolt...I've ordered another drain gasket hoping that's all it is, I'm fearing a stripped thread......IF it is a stripped thread do you guys think Thread Seal tape would work OK? I mean that stuff blocks out air when used on air compressor tools so I'm just curious.... What's the experts think? LOL:worthy:

If the threads are indeed damaged, then you have to fix the damage. It's no coincidence that Band-Aids are made out of tape also. If it was to get you home when away from the truck –I say rig it any way possible to get there. If it’s in your garage and you are contemplating a “jerry-rig” to get to the track –booo. I vote for fix the problem. Then again, that’s part of why I sell every bike with complete confidence that the new owner has a great ride. It’s kind of cool to see families racing my kid on a bike I sold them years ago. Keep it in perfect running order and it will last you a lifetime. Get in the habit of “well that outta hold” and you’ll have a junk heap soon enough.

Oh, and why do so many people gorilla torque the oil drain? It doesn’t hold anything together and performs NO function except to fill a hole. Maybe throw away the cheater bar stop abusing that poor drain bolt.

While waiting for the heli-coil kit I ordered to come in I used teflon tape on the threads. Then a little bit of High Temp RTV on the outside of the bolt. (because I was afraid of it backing out)

If the threads are indeed damaged, then you have to fix the damage. It's no coincidence that Band-Aids are made out of tape also. If it was to get you home when away from the truck –I say rig it any way possible to get there. If it’s in your garage and you are contemplating a “jerry-rig” to get to the track –booo. I vote for fix the problem. Then again, that’s part of why I sell every bike with complete confidence that the new owner has a great ride. It’s kind of cool to see families racing my kid on a bike I sold them years ago. Keep it in perfect running order and it will last you a lifetime. Get in the habit of “well that outta hold” and you’ll have a junk heap soon enough.

Oh, and why do so many people gorilla torque the oil drain? It doesn’t hold anything together and performs NO function except to fill a hole. Maybe throw away the cheater bar stop abusing that poor drain bolt.

Great advice right there.

completly agree!!

Oh believe me, I'd love to have it fixed if there's a issue with, I don't have the money to have someone else do it though if there is a issue.... What is a heli-coil kit?

A heli-coil kit creates new threads where threads are stripped using a "spring style"part that screws into the damaged hole.they are life savers and save a lot of money when it comes to stripped bolts.grainger.com has them if im not mistaken.you need to know the size of the bolt as the coils are size specific

That sounds prefect, does anyone know what size I would need for a 07 KX250f?

I might be all wet but before you get out the cutting torch and welder, shouldn't a stripped thread be visible with a good inspection? I would drain the oil and get a good look at it as well as inspecting the drain plug. As far as the Teflon tape, my fear would be small pieces of it getting in the engine. Good luck.

No, there is no welding. I was just trying To say before you do a lot of work, that I would take a really good look at the threads and make sure they are damaged before proceeding with any fix's. In your original post you said that you feared that the threads might be stripped. I just wanted to make sure they were. A mistake when installing a heli-coil could result in a major repair.

That sounds prefect, does anyone know what size I would need for a 07 KX250f?

Just bring the plug to a local auto parts place they should be able to measure it and find you a kit.

The size you are looking for is M6x1.0mm... if its the front small 8mm drain bolt. I just did mine last week. ('07 kx250f)

A thread chasing kit is a mandatory item for the garage. If any threads a less than perfect, you simply clean them up. Broken, stripped, etc needs more work, but for simplke clean up - you gott get a metric chasing kit.